A shot from yesterday - model on the beach

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a shot from yesterday I thought I would share.

629554959_eT3pY-XL.jpg

Ahh, heck... here's another one. I'm a sucker for B&W's.

629422783_qeX47-XL.jpg

I liked how you processed these. I personally prefer the sharp look rather then the dreamy effect.

#1:

It's sharp(love it!) and the lighting is great. Overall I think the technicals are spot on. I just think there's a bit too much space on the top and the bottom. Maybe a little tighter crop? I'm also itching to see the left hand of hers. I can totally picture having her place it on her waste but then again just preference.

#2:

My favorite. The sky and the water compliments her. I love her expression..gives me a distressed mood. This one is great. Preference wise I could totally see the chair legs completely underwater rather then having some sand exposed just to add a little bit more uncomfortability.

Solid series :thumbup:

#1:

It's sharp(love it!) and the lighting is great. Overall I think the technicals are spot on. I just think there's a bit too much space on the top and the bottom. Maybe a little tighter crop? I'm also itching to see the left hand of hers. I can totally picture having her place it on her waste but then again just preference.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Regarding the crop, I purposely used a wide angle lens to capture more of her surroundings. If I come in too tight, I lose the ambiance of the location. I wanted to see the dune in the background, the clouds, the contrast of the light and dark. I was going more for a picture of the entire scene vs. a picture of just her.

#2:

My favorite. The sky and the water compliments her. I love her expression..gives me a distressed mood. This one is great. Preference wise I could totally see the chair legs completely underwater rather then having some sand exposed just to add a little bit more uncomfortability.

Solid series :thumbup:
I agree about the water. I took about 100 shots that day trying to time the breaking waves with her pose. It was quite challenging. We were on Lake Michigan and the swells weren't really very regular. There would be several minutes between waves crashing vs. water just kind of surging onto the beach, also the levels kept changing which further complicated things. I would have the chair squarely in the surf for a couple of minutes, then the water would retreat. I would move the chair and it would practically submerge the chair. :)

But I was trying to capture the shot with the water breaking just below the seat of the chair.

I'm glad you like them. While they aren't 100% what I was going for, I'm actually pleased with the results.

Here's one additional shot from the day.

628824095_q4m6c-XL.jpg

I like the third shot, the one where she's on the chair and standing up. On the second photo, I think the picture would be improved by slightly cropping some off of the left hand side of the photo; her head position seems a bit too far to the right hand side of the frame in that image,making it feel right-heavy to me.

I think that the look you got on #2 of the water rushing toward the lens was just about perrrrrefect! And cropping the lower left corner would cut into that well-rendered wave...

The ambiguity, the oddness of her being on the beach in a kitchen chair makes perfect sense to me; the chair-on-beach thing has not been beaten to death; if she were inside of a dilapidated factory, it would make about the 10,000th time we'd been shown that tired cliche; the chair on the beach is actually fresh,and different.

I agree. In addition that sky on the third shot is just popping out of the picture. Good shot tharmsen.

#1 If she needs to go to the bathroom, let her go. I don't care what, if anything, is good about this image, she looks like she needs to pee.

#2 and 3 I understand bringing an unexpected object into the photo but it does not work here. For me.

However, the main problem I have with these two is that the foreground and background don't seem to belong together because of the horizon line. What is that black line at the horizon? It is so straight that it does not look real.

#1 If she needs to go to the bathroom, let her go. I don't care what, if anything, is good about this image, she looks like she needs to pee.

#2 and 3 I understand bringing an unexpected object into the photo but it does not work here. For me.
She did have to pee. It's human. :D

However, the main problem I have with these two is that the foreground and background don't seem to belong together because of the horizon line. What is that black line at the horizon? It is so straight that it does not look real.
You busted me. I edited that odd line into this horizon. I didn't think anyone would notice. Damn it.

:D

I think you need to get to the ocean or another large body of water a little more often. That line is quite natural. I suppose I could edit it out, but then that wouldn't be right either. :D

I like the third shot, the one where she's on the chair and standing up. On the second photo, I think the picture would be improved by slightly cropping some off of the left hand side of the photo; her head position seems a bit too far to the right hand side of the frame in that image,making it feel right-heavy to me.

I think that the look you got on #2 of the water rushing toward the lens was just about perrrrrefect! And cropping the lower left corner would cut into that well-rendered wave...

The ambiguity, the oddness of her being on the beach in a kitchen chair makes perfect sense to me; the chair-on-beach thing has not been beaten to death; if she were inside of a dilapidated factory, it would make about the 10,000th time we'd been shown that tired cliche; the chair on the beach is actually fresh,and different.
Thanks Derrel.

To be honest I wasn't sure about #2 at first. I played with it and eventually it grew on me... not due to editing, but due to it was almost what I was after but just not quite. I instructed her to have that look on her face, but each time the water hit it distracted her (it was only 60 degrees that day at the waters edge) and she lost the emotion I was after.

#3 captures exactly what I was after from her, but what I don't like about it is the lack of action with the water. I struggled to get the chair placed in the right spot to get the right amount of flow over it as the surf came in. The surf line was constantly changing. I had her on that chair for a good hour.

She did have to pee. It's human.

Yes it is human. I do it a few times a day myself. That does not mean the photo is interesting. I do not have a peeing fetish so I am not interested in the image.

I edited that odd line into this horizon. I didn't think anyone would notice. Damn it. I think you need to get to the ocean or another large body of water a little more often. That line is quite natural.

Is it edited or is it natural? It can't be both.

Is it edited or is it natural? It can't be both.
Wow man, did someone pee in your Post Toasties?

Do you really think I would edit a random line into the horizon?

Lordy.

"You busted me. I edited that odd line into this horizon"

Well, you tell me.
Apparently girls that look to you as though they might need to pee put you in an unpleasant mood.

I'm truly sorry you can't figure it out, but I'm not going to waste more bandwidth trying to explaining the obvious.

Out of the kindness of my heart I'll offer this clue though.

:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back