a shot i have been waiting for ... down the tubes.

@Rez, yeah, but from my experience, good lenses on my XSi made a huge difference. I was pretty dissappointed with the whole photography thing with the kit lenses. No better, often a little worse than a good P&S. Until I got the 100mm 2.8. Then I was like "Woah!" I do wanna throw this on the XSi, and see. Might be helpful to Stormchase. I'll take the same picture as a test.

I agree with AUZambo. Stormchase, don't think it was a waste. The cheap lenses let me learn my shooting style, and what kinds of lenses I want. After not having a long lens for the new camera, I was constantly upset that I wasn't being able to zoom. So keep shootin' and savin' and learnin' and stuff.

Thanks, when i got my tamron 90mm it was a big eye opener. that was the day I realized glass makes a difference! I got the 300 because i wanted to shoot wildlife. That range was recomended for me starting out. just wasnt thinking quality. I shoot more wildlife with my macro now then my 300. Its worth the trade to get a good quality shot and not get as close. I just have to wait a little longer for it to come closer to me. Just in this case I knew it was a LONG ways away. i wanted everything i had to get close. Again i would have been happier with my macro lol.

I feel for you - really.

But: A 75-300mm for $150 ??? Sorry man, throw it away. If you're shooting at 300mm with such a cheap lens you can't get better than this 2 miles away.

I'm sure you know this that the pros use good glass starting at $8000+ to get these kind of shots done well.

This is a perfect example of what a cheap lens can do to a once in a lifetime opportunity. Sadly, you will not be seeing this shuttle taking off anymore, unless NASA runs into an issue with the other two.

Save up all your money and get good glass. It's worth more than the body of your camera.

I believe there is 1 more shuttle launch in sept. I hope I can make it! +1 to what Reznap stated stop down to F8 and quality drastically improves from f5.6!

I have a canon xs using a 75-300mm EF tele. Also i had a Sunpac polorizer. It couldnt have helped either but i dont think it would have sofened it this much.

I agree that its not a good lens. I didnt know as much as i do now about DSLR's. I learned my lesson and am only getting good glass now. I see the difference!

Please take that Sunpak, walmart CP and stomp on it! Please! (Yes please take pictures too).

When I got my first DSLR, I thought I would go get all the goodies from Best Buy and Walmart, well Walmart had clearanced their filters one day, so I bought a CP, a UV, few extras. They are junk. Needless to say it too me a while to figure why everything was soft, turned out to be the filters. I bet I still have a few left brand new ones left (anyone want them). Go find a Water tower, or some kind of transmission tower that you can try to focus on thats 2 miles away. Try with the CP and without.

The lense isn't the greatest, but the CP is just crap. Just a thought

Last edited:
yup i got the whole deal at best buy. canon is canon but my tripod and filters are crap. Its very true and it shows here on this post. I should have waited and got one good lens. I did the same thing. For $800 i got a lot of stuff. filters, bag, 2 batterys w/charger, 2 lenses, body, cleaning kit, and a 30MB/s card. now i realize the bag, lenses, filters, and card i would have got a little better quality! lol Thats learning. Most peoples first cars are not BMWs either so Im ok with it.

Hardrock.. i think there is one more as well. that was the last one to the space station. :( this place is about to become a ghost town when they shut it down. atleast they will still be launching satilites on the DELTA rockets and stuff.

Last edited:
I think this was the Atlantis which is not supposed to fly anymore. Two more shuttle flights are planned until the end of the year just not this particular one. It will be used for stand-by in case another one fails before take off.

What I also wanted to ask you is what are you using those images for? Just looking at them at 72dpi on your monitor or are you printing mostly 30"x20" enlargements on a weekly basis for clients?

If you need to deliver large prints all the time then you need to get a better lens asap. If you shoot for mostly your own pleasure and the family album you're doing just ok with this lens at the moment.
If you try to apply to Getty Images as a stock photographer, don't even bother applying with that lens.

It all comes down to what is sufficient for you.

Oh and another thing, I'm shooting Nikon and I wouldn't buy a lens from another manufacturer but Nikon. I had Tamron before and that was also a bummer. Nikon bodies for Nikon lenses. Nikon is testing and adjusting their own glass to their own bodies perfectly. Therefore you will get the best results when you buy from the same company.

I personally would not make exceptions. On the other hand, for many people it is absolutely acceptable to buy Tamron or others makes, just not for me. I even know a bunch of professional stock photographers that use Tamrons and I believe that they are happy with them. So it all comes down to what you personally like.

If you have a chance, rent a Canon 105mm prime lens just "for fun". Just to experience for yourself what good glass is capable!

Hardrock.. i think there is one more as well. that was the last one to the space station. :( this place is about to become a ghost town when they shut it down. atleast they will still be launching satilites on the DELTA rockets and stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its really sad our government is shutting it down! Alot of jobs will be lost! Like I said I really hope I can make it to the last one starting to plan my trip now!

I am going to try and get tickets at the causeway and hopefully renting some glass to bring with me. I think the causeway is 6 miles away. Did you have to pay where you were at?

There was no admission where i was. (US-1 north of the south power plant. look for blue condos) I might not be on for the distance either. it might be a little further then 1.5 miles. I was further south of the (NASA) causway and west of NASA (launch pad). The launch was head on give or take a degree. pretty good spot. it was privet prop where i was but everyone was nice and no issues. Who knew i didnt live there anyways right? Everyone was out! if you can fight the crowds, Jetty park is also a good spot but plan on a 3-4 hour wait to get there early. Also a 5 buck admission. Not as close as the causway tho but over the ocean for a nice shot. I might rent a glass for the next one. ***its a good idea!

BTW this is my salvage.... straighten, croped, changed to landscape and sharpened it. not too bad i guess :)
4609518094_2387e460a8_b.jpg

The original 2 pics aren't showing anymore so I didn't get to see them, but your final shot is pretty good! Great color and contrast and pretty cool picture.

Definitely agree with others: Better glass can *really* make your pictures come out in a completely different tier. I very rarely take off my L lens (I even sold my other Sigma. My widest lens is now 50mm but the quality difference IMO makes that completely fine for what I use the camera)

Hmm i hope i didnt goof up the first pics.. they still show for me, anyways thanks Derek. I guess out growing equipment might be afoot lol.

The original 2 pics aren't showing anymore so I didn't get to see them, but your final shot is pretty good! Great color and contrast and pretty cool picture.>SNIP>

Same here--the original pics are not showing. Sorry that the event was ruined for you. I agree--your final "salvage" shot is pretty good--it has a lovely, spartan quality about it. It's a really cool looking launch plume!!! At least you got that photo, which is,well, pretty cool. Not many people really, have any such pictures in their collections,so it wasn't a total-total loss. I think we've all had days like that, where 'chit happened'.

I once shot an assignment with an old (1969) Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 lens, and the iris diaphragm stopped working about 2 frames into a 2-roll assignment so I had 2 good frames and then a bunch of more or less pure white blown-out shots, totally unusable.

thats not that bad of a picture.

When the shuttles blast off, there's quite abit of vapor and ice that flows off the ship (Challenger), this could cause some appearance of softness. Your last pic shows focus except for the ship. At this distance the shuttle will be hazy in appearance. I watched a video of todays launch and with it constantly rotating to get to Max Q position your pic is clearer than the video that was shot closer. Good Job with this shot as I didnt see the originals..

The original 2 pics aren't showing anymore so I didn't get to see them, but your final shot is pretty good! Great color and contrast and pretty cool picture.>SNIP>

Same here--the original pics are not showing. Sorry that the event was ruined for you. I agree--your final "salvage" shot is pretty good--it has a lovely, spartan quality about it. It's a really cool looking launch plume!!! At least you got that photo, which is,well, pretty cool. Not many people really, have any such pictures in their collections,so it wasn't a total-total loss. I think we've all had days like that, where 'chit happened'.

I once shot an assignment with an old (1969) Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 lens, and the iris diaphragm stopped working about 2 frames into a 2-roll assignment so I had 2 good frames and then a bunch of more or less pure white blown-out shots, totally unusable.

yes, sorry i pulled them off of flicker . didnt know if it would effect the post. thanks on the final shot and thanks on the feedback everybody!

Most reactions

Back