A (silly) question about prepositions: on or at f11?

My camera is ______ f/11 at the moment.

• on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • at

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a rather silly question, but it's been bugging me for a while so I thought I'd just ask you guys. Which of the following prepositions do you guys use when talking about what aperture you're using for a shot. The reason I'm asking is because I've heard people use both on or at and I was wondering if they're both correct, especially if you're a native speaker of English.

Depends on the verb I'm using.

"Shoot at f11"
"Set to/at f11"
"Stop up/down to f11"

In the poll sentence, I would say "at." I'm actually not sure I've ever used "on" as a preposition for aperture setting.

I'm actually not sure I've ever used "on" as a preposition for aperture setting.
Scott Kelby says "on" here: 2 minutes 15 seconds onwards.

Well, that's nice for him - I just can't remember having ever used it myself.

Preposition choice can often be a regional thing too, remember. Some people say "standing in line at the store" while we in NY say "standing on line at the store." Is the time a quarter TO four, TILL four, or OF four? It depends.

If you're hearing both, there's possible a regional difference in the speakers, but whatever the reason, there's enough flexibility in the expression that you can go with either one. I'd say go with what feels more natural for you and call it a day.

And yes, that is my official expert opinion as a trained linguist and English teacher of 20+ years :)

Which of the following prepositions do you guys use when talking about what aperture you're using for a shot.
When in doubt, I consult my dictionary.

In the case of an aperture setting, "at" certainly works better. One definition in particular fits perfectly.

Therefore, I will continue to use "at" when my aperture setting is already set.

When I wish to express a change in setting, I will use "to". As in; "Set your aperture to f/7.1."

None of my cameras have anything like f/11 on them.

Lenses, however.........................

I'm actually not sure I've ever used "on" as a preposition for aperture setting.

Preposition choice can often be a regional thing too, remember. Some people say "standing in line at the store" while we in NY say "standing on line at the store." Is the time a quarter TO four, TILL four, or OF four? It depends.

If you're hearing both, there's possible a regional difference in the speakers, but whatever the reason, there's enough flexibility in the expression that you can go with either one. I'd say go with what feels more natural for you and call it a day.

And yes, that is my official expert opinion as a trained linguist and English teacher of 20+ years :)

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. I guess I often say "at" but have noticed also go for "on" without knowing why. So I started paying more attention to what native speakers usually say, I guess.

My question is would you or any of you other native speakers care if someone used "on" or "at"? I mean would you think, "WTF? He just said on f/11."

None of my cameras have anything like f/11 on them.

Lenses, however.........................
Yeah too bad you don't have any of those cameras. They're pretty good.

Suppose I punch "F/11" into my label-maker and stick the label on one of my cameras? Will that make it awesome then?

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. I guess I often say "at" but have noticed also go for "on" without knowing why. So I started paying more attention to what native speakers usually say, I guess.

My question is would you or any of you other native speakers care if someone used "on" or "at"? I mean would you think, "WTF? He just said on f/11."

In the sentence you posted, I wouldn't think twice if someone said "on." It might sound a little weird to me in a different sentence: "I was shooting on f11..." for example, but even so, it wouldn't be a big deal.

English is kooky :)

(Btw, did you know that 3 of my English teaching years were done in Turkey? :) )

In the sentence you posted, I wouldn't think twice if someone said "on." It might sound a little weird to me in a different sentence: "I was shooting on f11..." for example, but even so, it wouldn't be a big deal.

English is kooky :)

(Btw, did you know that 3 of my English teaching years were done in Turkey? :) )

Wow, that's awesome. I'm in Istanbul and I'm also an English teacher. Often times, we'll discuss whether a sentence sounds right/authentic, or whether a native speaker would actually say it that way. When we can't agree, we end up asking our colleagues from places like the UK, US, Canada, New Zealand, etc. and and they always say "it's no big deal, sounds right to me" and don't see the point in us asking about all these uses of a certain word, preposition, tense use, etc. :)

"My camera is using the big (little, medium, dinky, huge, whatever) hole." :345:

I think I use "at" when I don't say to "I'm using f/5.6."

Perhaps we're preoccupied pondering the preposterousness of prepositions :p

Most reactions

Back