A Smoking Gun

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thoughts? I realized I never shared this image with you ladies and gents.

A Smoking Gun by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Jake

Last edited:
It is pretty sweet as the kids say. I have never attempted smoke photography. How did you do the lighting?

I like it better with the incense stick cropped out; if you remove just enough of the RH and bottom to get the smoke trail starting in the lower RH corner, I think it makes the image a lot stronger.

Smoke shots are always fun. You never know what you're going to get, lol. I think this one has a nice 'texture' going on.

I think I agree with tirediron about the incense stick though.

It is pretty sweet as the kids say. I have never attempted smoke photography. How did you do the lighting?

It was shot with two SB600's camera left and right, on about a flat spread. Camera left was about twice the power of camera right. Shot outside at night so I didn't have to bother with a backdrop.

Edit: they were both snooted with cardboard.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE!! Ooooo! These are always good fun! Gotta agree w/ the others, remove the incense from the shot. =) I would really like to try this again. It's been about 2 years since I tried it.

Hey Everyone,
I changed the OP with the edit.

Jake

I like the edit! Very interesting details in the smoke. =)

I like the edit! Very interesting details in the smoke. =)

I'd have to say it's one of my favorite smoke photo's. Thanks!

Jake

Your lighting was way better than my setup. You have a lot of your smoke in focus. If I remember correctly, I had an issue with that. =)

Your lighting was way better than my setup. You have a lot of your smoke in focus. If I remember correctly, I had an issue with that. =)

Mind you, this was shot at f9, 1/100th, ISO 160, and at 105mm. Since I was outside with snooted lights, I didn't have to worry about any background issues, so I was able to stop it down significantly. That really helped.

Jake

Most reactions

New Topics

Back