A study in tonality

milamber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My main objective was to show a tonal range from total black to the lightest highlight that still retains textural information, effectively obscuring the form of the object in the lower 20% within the darkest shadow to create a new perspective of the object, hopefully imparting on the viewer the message to look beyond their usual understanding of the original object.

singleonionbw.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like ClubSnap does not allow linking. Try Photobucket.

Big Mike said:
Welcome to the forum.

It looks like ClubSnap does not allow linking. Try Photobucket.

Ooopps. Looks like Flikr doesn't allow me to show the picture here either. I've placed a temporary link while i check out photobucket. Thanks Mike!

Thanks guys. The colour version works out nicely as well, but for different reasons i suppose:

singleonionsmall.jpg

If you decide to reshoot, or do something similar, try to get a tiny bit of backlight (white reflection paper or something should be enough) to set the subject free from the background. It will look better.

jeroen said:
If you decide to reshoot, or do something similar, try to get a tiny bit of backlight (white reflection paper or something should be enough) to set the subject free from the background. It will look better.

You mean rim lighting? Yes, that would be an interesting thing to do. I'll consider it next time. :thumbup: For this photo however, i'm trying to mask the form of the object somewhat to emphasize tone and texture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back