A suggestion

adding now ;)
I don't oppose the idea but I don't think it will gain anything much for the forum

For the sake of OT both here and

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1282314

Maybe you could add your comment there? ^^^

But you're saying you like the button idea?

I think maybe just an --OK to Critique-- might be fine?

Maybe that is all we need....just those three words(is OK, really a word?):lol: ....and not the "not ok to Critique. At least people know, that the OP is getting what he/she is lookin for.

Also..thanks to everyone for keeping this discussion from getting ugly. Much appreciated.

We have the "Just for Fun" forum.
And we have the "Photo Themes".
Two very different forums with regards to their purposes on here, but both are forums where passing critique on any submission is clearly not required or asked for.

So if there is a photo that you created just for your own enjoyment and the fun of creating it, and you want to share, and nothing else, then the "Just for Fun" forum is YOUR forum. We DID take away the "Snapshots and Bloopers" for a reason, since we felt the negative connotations of those two words. So now that forum is the "Just for Fun"-forum, and if you don't want your photo critisised, then go post there. What is wrong with that forum?

Why would we need a "no-critique-please" forum AND a little tag to everyone's details on the left? One and the same user might want ONE of their photos properly critiqued and just share another? Would he need to go use a switch every time he posts, depending on whether it is "just sharing" or "C&C please"?

And how would those come off to any of the others (including newbies who arrive with a very "clean slate") when it reads "Not OK to critique"? Wouldn't those seem to be "the arrogant group" right from the start?

Where would communication go if we had a chest full of different labels, and people were to study those first, form an opinion of ourselves based on those, and treat us accordingly ever after?

If every member used the proper forums and if "Just for Fun" were not (once more! or still!) regarded as "The Old Snapshots and Bloopers" (forget about that!!! It's a thing from the past!), then everyone could be happy!

Thank you for your reply Corinna. Much appreciated. All my photos are for fun. That is the reason I do photography, not for a business, or anything. It is my release from my every day craziness, my 2 hour drives back and forth to work, work itself and just life.
I do find the snapshots/Just for fun, gallery a "weak" gallery to post photos in, mostly cause a lot of members cant be bothered looking at photos of Fido...no offense to anyone who has a dog named Fido :lmao::lmao: I dont think my photos are that bad, but to avoid all these hassles, do they really belong in the snapshots gallery?
Thanks again for all your replies. If you want to close this thread, that is fine. I feel I have my answers now, so I will head back to my crypt for a long nap. It is daylight out. :D:D

chiller, i think your idea is good. i'd like to go a step further... how about we make an effort not post photos to critique until we personally think they are perfect. i am tired of seeing the poster list excuses about everything in the picture after someone critiques it. either you really don't know and take the criticism or you do know and fix it beforehand... also, i think it should be a rule not to make fun of the people in the picture. i know i did it once and i am not perfect... but now that i see it happen everyday, it's kinda sad and doesn't help anyone. besides, i am sure that person looked in the mirror that morning and thought they looked hot, we don't have the right to take that from them.

Thank you for your comments Bblaine. I appreciate you taking the time.
Your comments made me think of something I had an idea for a while back, but never brought it up. It was when the critique debate was going on, and people were all over that one. It never went anywhere. Might have been before your time here.
But...One suggestion I wanted to make was ...have a critique section..one for finished photos, one for unfinished. I was not concerned about the finished photos, but more the unfinished. That way a person could post it, and if they had the chance to reshoot that photo, the members could, "discuss" the photo, and help this member improve it. As for the critique now...your doomed if you post your finished work and you might get the what were you thinking...you belong on the Spartans pit comments. :lol: I was more concerned for the members new to photography, who are not ready for the heavy hitters to be all over them. If a person thinks their photo worthy of the finished photo critique, then put your helmet on and enjoy the ride....if your photo is not finished, you get help finishing it. I am not new to photography, been doing it for 5 years, but at one point I was a newbie, and I am only trying to help those who are in the same position I was 5 years ago.

Maybe to make it easier, just have a forum called show your photos that people can post just to share and have it a non critique forum. Just a thought. There may be one I just don't see it, not that I looked very hard lol.

Maybe to make it easier, just have a forum called show your photos that people can post just to share and have it a non critique forum. Just a thought. There may be one I just don't see it, not that I looked very hard lol.

Thanks for your reply Stillimage:D...but I think that is what is called the Just for Fun gallery now.

See I told you I didn't look very hard, missed that one all together lol.

we have a new section called "show your photos that people can post just to share and have it a non critique forum" hehehe... i had to.

"This is the place for your less serious work. Post pictures of your pets, funny images - or maybe something that just happened to catch your attention! Not intended for serious critique." ... I feel so violated I was lied to lmaoooo, it is still a critique forum, just not a serious one, lmao. Just kidding they can all be critique forums as far as I am concerned, after 25 years if I am not so full of my self and arrogant enough and I feel the need to post to an internet forum for critiques I am in the wrong business lol. I also don't critique others here, just my interns but they just love it, or what I tell myself as I see them as they leave work sobbing hahahah.

Oh seeing them leaving sobbing I am just kidding, I only hear them .... lol ... am I kidding or not hmmmm

Most reactions

Back