A True Beginner!!!!!!

starstudit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, currently I do not know anything about photography but would like to learn in hopes of delving into doing school photography. Considering I know nothing what would be the best route for me to learn? Would going to school be better or would trial and error on my own be the best teacher? Or is there a site online that's a good teacher? All input would be greatly appreciated.

Im no expert. I can tell you theres a wealth of info that can be learned from the web and from books. Im not saying that school is a bad route, im just saying why not see what you can learn on your own. Do you own a camera? If so, are you having problems with the pics you've taken so far?

Hello, currently I do not know anything about photography but would like to learn in hopes of delving into doing school photography. Considering I know nothing what would be the best route for me to learn? Would going to school be better or would trial and error on my own be the best teacher? Or is there a site online that's a good teacher? All input would be greatly appreciated.
Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Photograph...

Digital Cameras - A Beginner's Guide

Digital Photography Tutorials

DSLR Tips

Jodie Coston's Classroom

For what you can learn on the internet for free compared to what you learn in a photography course that you pay good money for, I wouldnt recomend you go to school.
If you feel the need, go for it.

If not, you should start out with a decent camera. Maybe a secondhand Nikon D50 or D70.
A Nikon FM10 is a good camera. It is a fully manual film camera. So it really forces you to want EVERY picture to be perfect, since you are paying for the film.

You can get a d50 or d70 one for around 200-300 dollars, and the FM10 brand new with a 35-70mm lens for 250, depending on luck and where you look.
If you can find one with the kit lens, even better.
After the Kit lens, get a 50mm.

Keep the 50mm lens on the camera whenever you are practicing. Practice with that one lens. Just go out and take pictures, record the settings, and the type of light (with flash, without flash, sunny day, overcast ETC)
After you get the picture on the 'putor or get the prints, check back to your notes. Change how you shoot from there. Go out the next day, with your notes, and shoot accoriding to that.

That will teach you basic exposure, and you wont need to pay for a college course.
Also, since you have no zoom, youll have to compose the picture exactly how you want the picture, instead of beeing lazy and just turn a ring.

subscribed! Ive always been interested in photography but could never justify paying 500+ for a camera(since i might not be any good), also because im juggling a few other expensive hobbies. Recently my buddy upgraded and sold me his D40+tons of goodies for a sick deal. Thanks, for the info. I've already been reading books and shooting floral =]

I would say go to school to get a good foundation in the rules and techniques of photography. And then its all about trial and error, experimenting, being open to honest critiques and people telling you why your work sucks.

I prefer school over learning on my own as I had heard great things about the program I am taking and I tend to respond well to structured learning. Others prefer to learn on their own.

I would say go to school to get a good foundation in the rules and techniques of photography. And then its all about trial and error, experimenting, being open to honest critiques and people telling you why your work sucks.

I prefer school over learning on my own as I had heard great things about the program I am taking and I tend to respond well to structured learning. Others prefer to learn on their own.

good idea. Yeah i plan on taking some photography classes in addition to the books ive been reading. But before that. I would basically take the same pictures over and over again while adjusting the camera settings until the pictures came out the way i wanted. LOL:lol:

Thanks for all of the advice.

Most reactions

Back