What's new

A vasel of straws

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
5,520
Reaction score
1,866
Location
Appleton, WI
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A vase of straws by longm1985, on Flickr

Comments/critique appreciated. Working on lighting glass with liquid in it.

MODS: Can someone edit the title for me? Sorry. Grrr. Thanks!
 
Pretty nice. My main suggestion would be a little highlight on the black straw to separate it from the background a bit. I LOVE the reflection of the three straws on the set material at the bottom--that's nice. I'm not quite sure that the overlap of the vase top over the set material is enough at the top of the frame. Maybe scoot the vase back a bit?
 
The top was a bit of a compromise. I need a taller background... :lol: It's a black sheet draped over two chairs. The set material is actually my dining room table. It's glass with little bubble looking things made to look like raindrops on the bottom, then painted with silver and glitter. I did add a little highlight to the top of the straw, but I agree that it blends in too much. If I can figure out how to make a higher background, I'll try this from a slightly different angle and further back to get the top of the vase out of the table.
 
I like the lighting. argee on more separation for the black straw.

i'd like to see the perspective a bit lower.
 
OK, angle is better. Now I need to figure out how to separate the straw without causing reflections. Or just use a white straw... :lol:

A vase of straws 2 by longm1985, on Flickr
 
When your background is too small, one of the easiest fixes is to pull the camera farther away, and use a longer lens focal length.

The second version has a MUCH lower camera placement, and now the vase looks blackish and less-appealing, and the straw is utterly lost against the black. My suggestion??GET RID of the all-black straw, and go for a solid red one.
 
The focal length thing... I didn't think about that, but it makes so much sense. Back to the drawing board. :lol:
 
The focal length thing... I didn't think about that, but it makes so much sense. Back to the drawing board. :lol:

Try shooting in a garage studio...you learn a lot about how to deal with too-tiny backgrounds. "Background control" is vastly different with a longer length lens; it's one of the MAIN reasons I always liked the 180mm macro lens length, much more so than 60mm...the narrower angle of view behind the subject makes it easier to "show less" background.
 
I've been trying to do portraits lately, and the only spot I have with a decent background is my living room. I cover the red couch with a black sheet, and the back curtains disappear, but they're just too narrow for a normal length lens. I've been DYING to try my Ektar 80mm f2.8 on my Canon, and I have a feeling that's gonna be a HUGE help.
 
I've been trying to do portraits lately, and the only spot I have with a decent background is my living room. I cover the red couch with a black sheet, and the back curtains disappear, but they're just too narrow for a normal length lens. I've been DYING to try my Ektar 80mm f2.8 on my Canon, and I have a feeling that's gonna be a HUGE help.

Yes, I know the issue. The FIRST roll of photo background paper I bought was one of those "half-width" rolls....I have bought ONE of those in my lifetime....just...that...one....all the others have been 9 foot wide. It's just so restricting to have a narrow backdrop, unless you are using a long lens with a narrow angle of view.

Have you figured out an adapter rig-up for the "old Hassy mount" to EOS mount sit'ayshun???
 
Since I don't have any red straws, and those three are apparently the only straws I have in this entire house (sad, I know), went with a minimalist approach this time. I feel like this works-almost reminds me of a small tree popping out of a planter.

Vase with Straw by longm1985, on Flickr
 
I agree with other comments regarding the black straw. It blends in alot. I would consider another color, or finding somthing that gives it a edge there.

Impressive work with lighting.
 
I've been trying to do portraits lately, and the only spot I have with a decent background is my living room. I cover the red couch with a black sheet, and the back curtains disappear, but they're just too narrow for a normal length lens. I've been DYING to try my Ektar 80mm f2.8 on my Canon, and I have a feeling that's gonna be a HUGE help.

Yes, I know the issue. The FIRST roll of photo background paper I bought was one of those "half-width" rolls....I have bought ONE of those in my lifetime....just...that...one....all the others have been 9 foot wide. It's just so restricting to have a narrow backdrop, unless you are using a long lens with a narrow angle of view.

Have you figured out an adapter rig-up for the "old Hassy mount" to EOS mount sit'ayshun???
Actually, I have-I found an adapter for Kiev 88/Salyut lenses and it'll work. :D Edit: I just have to buy it. :lol:

I'll remember that. Half length equals no no.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom