A very serious suggestion, on a serious subject.

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
SUGGESTION: That when we put someone on our ignore list that prevents them from commenting on ANY thread we might start. I do not mean threads that we comment on, only threads that we start. Otherwise you find yourself in this exact same situation where you get 'disciplined' because of who is commenting on your thread. I am dead serious on this suggestion and would like to hear from the authorities what they think of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if the board software did support this (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), I would be against it because that would allow one member to put someone on their 'Ignore' list and then start a thread in which they could "take shots" at that member without he/she being able to respond, which would in turn cause that person to start a thread, and we'd have [more of] a gong-show than we already do at times.

just complain to an admin
maybe they'll have a talk to them/he/she rather than going off in a thread and getting oneself into trouble.

Not sure on this one. It might work. I think a better thing to do is realise that someone who disagrees with you or even tries to troll you on the net isn't really worth worrying to much about.

If it gets to a stage where you consider it bullying then report it as suggested above. Remember it's easy for a keyboard warrior to act tough from the other side of an internet line on the other side of the world, or two doors away, you never really know.

One has in my opinion got to take a forum like this one for what it's worth. It's full of stuff to help learn and enjoy, with likely (as in real life), mostly nice people. For those who are not so nice, an ignore button is great, but you need one in your mind also

A person commenting on " your thread" is no different to a person commenting on a post you might make within a thread. So it wouldn't really solve anything.

If you find yourself being the target of problems then:
1) The ignore list should mean that the users post is hidden from you; if they have "attacked" you then you shouldn't get into trouble; you shouldn't even notice it.

2) Report the offending post to the admin to deal with. Bare in mind you might not SEE what happens when the admin/mods deal with things.

3) Exercise self restraint and maturity to not respond to the attacking/insulting/annoying/comment.

The software allows admin to prevent certain members from posting in certain forums, or from seeing certain forums without special access (like the NSFW Gallery). But there is nothing of that inherent in the Ignore feature - it just blinds a member's post to the person who puts them on their list.

It isn't a perfect feature, I agree. However, it should prevent the bulk of posts from being seen, wherever they are posted. The main exception is if those posts are quoted by someone, then become visible regardless of the Ignore list.

Bottom line is that we keep the behavior guidelines here for a reason, just as we keep the Report Thread feature here for a reason, and have a moderating team to take issues to for a reason - all are efforts to keep the drama down when certain personalities don't get along. As Overread suggests, using self-restraint and keeping in mind the fact that this is a forum open to the public, where anyone might join and post, should help you maintain perspective while you're here.

I was a mod/admim for a long time on a technical computer forum. There is always people out there that just have to be managed and occasionally banned. Report the post, state your reason, and let the mods handle it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back