A village sunset ( request critique please)

This is a beautiful place and a beautiful sky. The photo shows what was in front of the lens, but for me, I do not feel immersed or involved, now drawn in. I look at this and I do not get a sense of scale; the earth-colored line; is that a road? Or a cow or an animal path? I can't tell what the scale is...is the road or the path elevated? it seems so,. but by how much? How far away are the trees to the left? Overall, this shot appears to have been made with a wide-angle lens, and the distances appear long, the background very small, and the entire foreground small and not involving.
Thank you Derrel as always.......
Yeah it indeed was a lovely vantage. If you were there what would you have done to create the oomph and create involvement for the viewer please? This was shot with my kit lens the 18-55. I get your message to create a feeling of scale which would have made this image more 3D'ish, hence I ask for elucidation.
Rgds,

Excellent Jassiji... soalso your commentary..

Jasii said:
If you were there what would you have done to create the oomph and create involvement for the viewer please? This was shot with my kit lens the 18-55. I get your message to create a feeling of scale which would have made this image more 3D'ish, hence I ask for elucidation.
Rgds,

I think the shot needs a foreground element of some size and some interest. The green fields are just a flat expanse of green that takes up a large p[art of the frame. Moving closer, to the very edge of the plateau for example, might have given a more interesting foreground, or might have shown the valley below.

The shot just lacks foreground interest; the actual size of the objects in the distance is very small when shot with a short focal length lens. The trees off to the left for example...those would have made a great foreground object of interest, and would have silhouetted nicely against the sky, but you would have had to have been within about 75 meters distance of them.

Getting CLOSE to anything, even that bush, off to the right, would have helped create a feeling of depth, by giving us a close-up object against which we could gauge the expanse of the sky and the distances involved. I would literally have walked up to the bush, and shot a "tall" with the interesting white jet trail or odd cloud, or I would have hiked 150 meters to the left, and filled the left third or so of the frame with the silhouetted trees as my foreground, shooting at 18-25mm.

[/QUOTE]

I think the shot needs a foreground element of some size and some interest. The green fields are just a flat expanse of green that takes up a large p[art of the frame. Moving closer, to the very edge of the plateau for example, might have given a more interesting foreground, or might have shown the valley below.

The shot just lacks foreground interest; the actual size of the objects in the distance is very small when shot with a short focal length lens. The trees off to the left for example...those would have made a great foreground object of interest, and would have silhouetted nicely against the sky, but you would have had to have been within about 75 meters distance of them.

Getting CLOSE to anything, even that bush, off to the right, would have helped create a feeling of depth, by giving us a close-up object against which we could gauge the expanse of the sky and the distances involved. I would literally have walked up to the bush, and shot a "tall" with the interesting white jet trail or odd cloud, or I would have hiked 150 meters to the left, and filled the left third or so of the frame with the silhouetted trees as my foreground, shooting at 18-25mm.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing your mindset Derrel. Appreciate it. Here's my take:-
When I composed this shot, I asked myself, what did I want to showcase? The point of interest here was the sky post the sunset hence, I framed for that. The greens were included to show calmness of the scene and the pathway and the diagonal row of trees ( they were a good 500 metres away and with a deep gorge in between) were there to assist in the framing. With light fading fast the distant hills were getting enveloped in a haze of sorts and I thought " Ah Ha! will include those in the BG to create scale." Had I gone closer towards the edge I'd have lost the fields and still not got anything tangible in the FG .

Do offer corrections if any.

Most reactions

Back