A whole weekend of photography?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello folks!

I have a question to ask of you guys.

One of my high school teachers has found herself in charge of a state organization now, and reached out to me about providing photography for their state conference, which lasts 3 days.

What would you charge for this?

They are providing meals and lodging, so I would think maybe $800/day would be fair. I normally charge $100/hour for standard events, and I would suspect to be working an average of 8 hours a day.

But should there be some sort of premium for something like this? Like for weddings?

Let me know what you think!

Do transportation costs enter in to the equation? I think between $5-800 a day would be a reasonable rate. Consider how much of those eight hours you will actually be working and how much, if any time outside of that you will need for post, client consult, etc. I don't think there's any reason for a "premium" here (or anywhere, but that's just my opinion). Event work is generally easy and straight forward.

Like in any business you should charge what you want to make for doing a job not what someone else wants to make. If you're busy and can make as much without the hassle of travel go high. On the other hand if you haven't worked in weeks and need to make some money go lower then you normally would so you can guarantee you get some work.

As mentioned, other photographers likely have a higher or lower CODB and what they charge probably would not work for you.

What you charge has to be more than your cost of doing business.
Calculator | NPPA

Knowing your cost of doing business (CODB) is the only way you can tell if your business makes money, or not.

Each shooting hour generally requires as much as 3 hours of post processing time. In other words @ $100 per hour youmay actually be earning as little as $25 per hour - gross.
Once you subtract out your business expenses you might actually be making as little as $10-$15 per hour.

Does the$100/hr your charge to shoot an event include use licensing?

Last edited:
As mentioned, other photographers likely have a higher or lower CODB and what they charge probably would not work for you.

What you charge has to be more than your cost of doing business.
Calculator | NPPA

Knowing your cost of doing business (CODB) is the only way you can tell if your business makes money, or not.

Each shooting hour generally requires as much as 3 hours of post processing time. In other words @ $100 per hour youmay actually be earning as little as $25 per hour - gross.
Once you subtract out your business expenses you might actually be making as little as $10-$15 per hour.

Does the$100/hr your charge to shoot an event include use licensing?

That's a good question. I would probably just use my standard contract, in which they're able to use the photos however they want as long as they're not selling them.

Most reactions

Back