a65 vs 77 auto focus worth another 500$ plus?

smilesyota

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is the auto focus worth the extra money on the a77 and what else might make it worth it? I'm a begginer and want to shoot nature, my fast moving dog and sports ie auto and otherwise. Advise would be great as I will be purchasing this week, i think.

it's not just autofocus (well I hope you mean focus points because to my knowledge there is no other difference than amount of focus points )

for me it was size of the body, af micro adjustement, screen and the kit lens. and it was worth every penny.

The a77 kit has a much better lens.

the 65 has 15 points 3 cross type and the 77 has 19 with 9 or 11 cross type i think. Will this make a huge difference? will the 77 be much faster to focus and work better in low light? I can get a 65 for 825$ and the 77 is much more expensive!

The a77 also has the weather resistant magnesium body with twin selection dials for speed and aperture. And 12 FPS vs the 10 o the a65.

I think those would be more important in your choice.

the 65 has 15 points 3 cross type and the 77 has 19 with 9 or 11 cross type i think. Will this make a huge difference? will the 77 be much faster to focus and work better in low light? I can get a 65 for 825$ and the 77 is much more expensive!

That is something only you can answer as it depends on your style. I for example use only one focus point to autofocus (AF area set to local ) and it is usually the central one. ( autofocus,recompose,and fine tune focus with DMF with peaking level set to mid)

Although the a65 can control both aperture and speed with its single control dial. You just press and hold a button with your thumb and the function switches to the other mode.

Not as straight forward as two dials, but it's still there.

Cant seem to find any A77's in stock anywhere. I think I might just get the 65 and buy another lens with the extra money. has anyone tried the 30mm 2.8 prime? or the 35mm 1.8?

smilesyota said:
Cant seem to find any A77's in stock anywhere. I think I might just get the 65 and buy another lens with the extra money. has anyone tried the 30mm 2.8 prime? or the 35mm 1.8?

With the mount of money saved, I'd aim much higher than the entry level primes. Between the two, I recommend choosing the. 35mm f1.8. This will give you a 52mm equivalent which is a very nice length to have.

I would seriously consider getting the a65 body only and get the 16-50 f2.8 lens that comes with the a77. It is far superior to the 18-55 kit lens.

The a77 also has the weather resistant magnesium body with twin selection dials for speed and aperture. And 12 FPS vs the 10 o the a65.

I think those would be more important in your choice.

Only 12fps when shooting on auto which no one seems to point out

gsgary said:

But can take much better IQ photos than any aps-c Canon camera which you don't like to point out. lol

Last edited:
gsgary said:

But can take much better IQ photos than any aps-c Canon camera which you don't like to point out. lol

Because it is not true, i could take a better shot than you with a point and shoot

argieramos said:

We've pointed out several times how little sensor stats really mean in photography. But you don't seem to understand that.

Somehow in argies mind sensor stats top off as the single most important thing. And this just isn't true.

Most reactions

Back