AAAGGHH! I've been asked to.....

Thanks for all the honesty everyone! I know that I have ALOT to learn about alot of things. I think in photography, you will never stop learning, that's what is so neat about it. I think aside from not being familiar with external flash yet ( I like natural lighting) , I am my own worst critic. Along with my technical skills, I think I need to work on my confidence. As far as not knowing what lens to use, I already have a fast prime, and now that that lense would be a MUST with the low lighting situations I'd be in. I also have a telephoto. I just wanted to know what others would suggest. But ya, I absolutely agree with several of the things brought up, and that is why my first word was AGH! haha I WANT the experience terribly bad, but I do NOT want to ruin their wedding memories. Could I do the wedding and take some great shots? Yes! Would I do the kind of job I WANT to do, and that would be amazing? Not at this stage.......

Ever heard of that saying..."When in doubt, don't"?

Well this is one of those times. If you are uneasy and have this many questions about it, then my advice would be to not do it. You dont even know what lenses to use, what flash to use, etc....that's a big red flag.

i would tell them that your not experienced in weddings, and that they should also get a pro photographer aside from you...this way it'll make for good practice, and if they like your pictures better then the other photographer, then you know you got something ;]

Do a search on Google for "Wedding Photography" include the quotes. Look at the poses, add the ones which look good and easy them to a folder in your favorites. Check them out daily so you virtually burn them into your memory. Write down a list of the ones you feel are most important, and read it daily....

Suggest they also hire a photographer to take posed shots. Then, you shoot candid's. Wear a dark suit, and stay in the background. You may get the best shots of the day. Ive seen a lot of weddings where brides paid a "Professional Photographer" to do the wedding. Then been sorry they did, because they paid so much for a lousy job. My candids turned out to be the best shots of the wedding. On one occasion, the "PRO" actually had virtually nothing of value and they sued him in small claims court and won. You certainly do not want that to happen, at least if you are shooting candids they would have your pictures.

Generally friends and relatives are supposed to be at the Wedding to have a good time, NOT to WORK. If you do this, and explain you do not want to be totally responsible because you want to enjoy some of their Wedding, they will probably understand. THEN, give them copies of your pictures as a Wedding Gift.

Ive even had so called "PRO's" wind up following me around, because they noticed the shots I was getting and did not want to miss them. If they hire a Photographer, go with them for the interview at the studio, check to see what they are getting to make sure the "PRO" knows what he is doing. Make sure the studio owner is doing the job, not someone they hire for the day.

I think aside from not being familiar with external flash yet ( I like natural lighting)
I like natural lighting as well, but knowing how to use an external flash is all about knowing how to make it look like you didn't use a flash at all.

Is money an issue for the bride and groom? Is that why they've asked you to do it?

I'm doing my first wedding on Saturday. On a normal occassion, I would have said, "Ha, no way!" but it was either they pay MOI, someone who knows a camera, has some experiece with external flash, can decently post process....or they had no "wedding photographer" at all. I'm doing it for $400. A "professional" is not an option with that budget, plain and simple. It's my co-worker who I'm fairly close with, so it's also part of my "gift" to them.

You guys can tell me that I'm still making a mistake, but I'm confident and so are the bride and groom.

Oh, to the original poster---- if you're really going to do this, GET TO WORK. Study, read, learn. Better yet, second-shoot a couple of weddings or at least tag along. I did that, and it made me feel so much better about my decision to do this wedding on Saturday.

Ha, a "professional" around Chicago will do a whole wedding for $500. I just found some on Craigs List. How sick is that? Digital photography has so many people running around with cameras, everyone is a wedding photographer these days. :)

sunbeam, why don't you suggest to her to hire a professional and ask her if you could still "practice" by photographing along with (but not in the way of) the pro? That way you get practice and you don't have all the pressure. Plus, you can stop and enjoy yourself whenever you want being that this is your relative's wedding.

You guys can tell me that I'm still making a mistake, but I'm confident and so are the bride and groom.

my issue with this is that you can only go so far in trying to set expectations but every bride is expecting magazine photos from anyone with a "big" camera. when they get p&s quality results back naturally they are upset because no matter what you told them they didn't hear any of it and they are still expecting themselves to somehow look like a supermodel and the pictures to be magazine quality.

sunbeam, why don't you suggest to her to hire a professional and ask her if you could still "practice" by photographing along with (but not in the way of) the pro? That way you get practice and you don't have all the pressure. Plus, you can stop and enjoy yourself whenever you want being that this is your relative's wedding.

I would agree with this. As a super amature, I'm well aware that I can get good shots from time to time simply due to dumb luck. But professional quality? Probably not.

I'd be happy to take candid snap shots and even do some alongside the pro, but to be the photographer? No thanks. Too much chance of a lost friendship, since they can't sue you if all your pics suck.

Ha, a "professional" around Chicago will do a whole wedding for $500. I just found some on Craigs List. How sick is that? Digital photography has so many people running around with cameras, everyone is a wedding photographer these days. :)

Lol thats why they say "you get what you pay for."

Please shoot her wedding so later on she can tell everyone that hiring a professional is a must. Thank you.

^^ I think that was not needed and definitely offered no helpful advice.

Lol thats why they say "you get what you pay for."
LOL, true... but many new couples are looking to save money so they naturally go with the guy at $500 over the real pro with experience at $2,000 or more.

Here's what you get for your $500:

251x375.aspx

:D

From the photo, it seems like the bride know what she is going to do to the photographer after seeing that result.

Is money an issue for the bride and groom? Is that why they've asked you to do it?

I'm doing my first wedding on Saturday. On a normal occassion, I would have said, "Ha, no way!" but it was either they pay MOI, someone who knows a camera, has some experiece with external flash, can decently post process....or they had no "wedding photographer" at all. I'm doing it for $400. A "professional" is not an option with that budget, plain and simple. It's my co-worker who I'm fairly close with, so it's also part of my "gift" to them.

Oh, to the original poster---- if you're really going to do this, GET TO WORK. Study, read, learn. Better yet, second-shoot a couple of weddings or at least tag along. I did that, and it made me feel so much better about my decision to do this wedding on Saturday.

I'm all for taking risks and trying things out. And if you feel ready to shoot a wedding and offer people decent pics, and they expect the quality of product you will give them, be understanding of missed shots and a few blow outs here and there, then its all good.

You have to start somewhere, right?

I'm in a similar boat where I was asked to shoot my wife's friend's wedding in August. I said no, I didn't feel comfortable, and their other option was putting disposable cameras on all the tables to collect pictures and rely on other's point and shoot cameras. So I told them I'd do it, sat down, explained to them the potential pitfalls of having me as their main photographer.

I'm nervous as hell, but it will be fun. I'm taking photography classes and re-arranged my class schedule to follow a photojournalism class and a wedding/portrait class. My teacher shoots weddings professionally and I'm going to assist him at least once before this wedding. I'm also bringing along a classmate/friend who is a great photographer who also shoots Canon and has a great selection of L lenses. I'm practicing when I can, reading the rest the of time.

So I'm putting the most I can on my side.

Good luck Breanna, I can't wait to see your results.

Most reactions

Back