Abandoned Acreage...

emptypockets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I happened upon an abandoned acreage during my travels. They're pretty common in Iowa, but this one struck me as being photo worthy. C&C Welcomed!

barn1.jpg

barn3.jpg

outhouse.jpg

planter.jpg

post.jpg

I like 3, & 5 the best........

I really like these shots! I am pretty bored so I did a quick edit of the first shot

barn1copyll7.jpg

Makes me wonder what happened. I keep looking at 2. I like the open gate.

Jeremy

Ooooh, I actually like these in colour better! And, I find the second one more interesting in colour - where as in the b&w I found the fence distracting.
Regardless, they are really interesting.

I also like the color versions better, too. The seed drill in #4 is pretty kick-ass, too.

How I pine for the great plains from time to time. :heart:

I like the second one the most. They all make me a bit nostalgic/homesick.

My parents were from little places that barely, if at all, exist anymore. Mom was from Sutherland, Dad from Maryhill. Love Iowa- but 'Nut' state (CA) is my home now.

I like the second one the most. They all make me a bit nostalgic/homesick.

My parents were from little places that barely, if at all, exist anymore. Mom was from Sutherland, Dad from Maryhill. Love Iowa- but 'Nut' state (CA) is my home now.

Your mom was from Sutherland? Wow, that's close to me! I grew up in Sheldon and now live in Spencer. What a small world! This acreage is just east of Spencer actually.

I'm glad everyone likes the shots. They were taken during the midday and I hope to get back soon and take more in different times of the day and under different lighting conditions. The day I took these, we were getting a 55+ mph wind storm! Keep the comments coming.

Im more familiar with the other side of the state, in areas like Waukon, Lansing, McGregor, and Dubuque. But I also see lots of run down stuff like this as I travel nearby highways and country roads. I just wish I had more time to stop. I love shooting old barns and outbuildings.

Great shots!

NJ

that's a great location you have there and your compositions are very good...I'm glad you mentioned going back in better light, some low light shots would be great. I hope you post them up!

Finding the perfect lighting conditions will be a challenge with the barn. It faces south, so in the shots, you're actually looking to the north. I'm guessing the best conditions will be in the early morning as the sun will illuminate the east side of the building, or the right side of the shot. Sunset will leave most of this side of the shot nearly black, or at least with very little visible detail. My other thought is to work on getting some good shots of the opposite side of the barn with the block structure. Although the tree will loom even larger there.

Your mom was from Sutherland? Wow, that's close to me! I grew up in Sheldon and now live in Spencer. What a small world! This acreage is just east of Spencer actually.

Before we moved to California I lived on a farm outside of Cherokee. Used to walk through the cornfield to go fishing for bullhead at the pond on the nieghbors farm. Would never remember to wear shoes until I'd passed the point of no return. I'd play in the windbreaks all day, and still love listening to the mourning doves in the spring and summer.

I moved back to see what it was like in my twenties. I lived in Sioux City and then Cherokee.

My Aunt and Uncle live in Milford near Lake Okoboji. I'd catch a ride with a friend that worked in Spencer and he'd let me use his car to visit them.

Storm Lake brings back memories too. My girlfriend knew of a reasonably quiet place we used to go swimming on the south side of the lake. Only got caught a few times.

That's beautiful country out there.

I did some new edits of the barn, changing the crops among other things. Let me know how you think they turned out! I'm especially curious to see what you think of them versus the first edits. Thanks!

1. Cropped
barnraw2.jpg

2. Cropped and PS'd
barn5x72.jpg

3. Second shot cropped
barnraw1.jpg

4. Second shot cropped and PS'd
barn5x7.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back