Abandoned church

LCLimages

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really trying to make myself go out more and just shoot, outside the studio/outdoor people I do. I used to, when I first got my first camera I shot nature and pretty much anything I ran across worthy of a shutter press. Lately I've gone away from that.

I love pictures of abandoned buildings. Like prisons, mental hospitals, etc - I love the gritty, eerie feeling. This is so far outside the realm of what I usually shoot anymore I had no idea how to approach processing them. I'm stuck in my portraiture mentality these days.

This chapel is about a 7 mile gravel drive from my house and has been empty for at least 50 years. It's a small church built in 1901, and well known in this region as supposedly haunted. All sorts of rumors - civil war soldiers still ride horses on the grounds, the priest went mad and murdered a lady, someone was hanged from the tree, etc. Now, it all depends on what you believe in I suppose, but I've never found anything remotely paranormal about the place. Of course, we're a college town around here and it draws a lot of late night parties & ghost hunting expeditions so the place is pretty much trashed. The adjacent cemetery is still in use.

We had some dark clouds and a storm roll through before I went out. The color was not working for me so I de-sat the indoor pics. The walls are bright green. Far too cheery for how desolate the building is.

Cool shots! Thanks for letting us share your trip out - feel like I was in there with you.

Inside looks nothing like what I'd expect an abandoned church to look like inside. I guess I expected an alter or pews or etc.

The composition and angle of 1 makes the building look like its about to blow over from leaning. Is the building leaning or is it the camera angle?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4. probably at work.

It doesn't lean. The tree is straight on the right side of the frame. Could just be my angle or comp. Or lens distortion, although I ran it through the LR profile correction. It's been abandoned for over half a century. I can see where the pulpit used to be, but I imagine any pews or chairs are long gone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back