? About a cable

Monaco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello people!New to the forum.

Latley I have been watching television and noticed that some professional photographers have a cable hooked up to thier camera that leads to a computer across the room that lets them view the picture that they have just taken.

Im assuming it's a usb based cable that connects to the camera?Or some software that enables the camera to take and send pictures at the same time.

If anyone could give me any info about this method or program or whatever it is.Or if it's camera specific or a name or anything.

That you very much

well, its called tethered shooting, and some newer dSLRs have the feature. Its a pice of software that comes with the camera. I know the sony a700 and the canon 40d both have it. its a usb connection . thats about all i know about it... i've used it once but the sony supplied cable is too short for it to be useful for anythign more than maybe studio photography or product photos. its nice though if you dont want to be filling a memory card , and you can view the photos full size right after you take them.

but if we're talking about connecting it to a TV, then you can have composite video, and also the a700 has an HDMI out port in it (funny thing though... the port is smaller than a standard HDMI plug, so you need to buy it from them...)

well, its called tethered shooting, and some newer dSLRs have the feature. Its a pice of software that comes with the camera. I know the sony a700 and the canon 40d both have it. its a usb connection . thats about all i know about it... i've used it once but the sony supplied cable is too short for it to be useful for anythign more than maybe studio photography or product photos. its nice though if you dont want to be filling a memory card , and you can view the photos full size right after you take them.

That sounds exactly like what I was talking about.It's deffinatly not just hooking it up to the tv.Thanks alot I appreciate it.

Wondering if my D80 can do this.... Hmmmm.... Must find out!

Wondering if my D80 can do this.... Hmmmm.... Must find out!
I'm sure it can. Actually, I'd bet that most digital cameras (DSLR or not) can do this. It's just a matter of having the right software. Nikon's is called Nikon Capture (I think the current version is 4).

Canon's is Canon Remote Capture.

Adobe makes a similar program called Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.Not really sure as to if it's just a plugin to photoshops or what.Theres also Bibble Pro.
These two work properly but only if there is a tethering mode on the camera.So I was SOL until I found a product called Eye-Fi.Works Generally the same way except it's wireless so thats a plus.

Adobe makes a similar program called Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.Not really sure as to if it's just a plugin to photoshops or what.Theres also Bibble Pro.
These two work properly but only if there is a tethering mode on the camera.So I was SOL until I found a product called Eye-Fi.Works Generally the same way except it's wireless so thats a plus.

Lightroom has nothing to do with tethered shooting.

just remembered that theres another way to do this. (it may be what was described above) but its an SD card with wi-fi built in so whenever you're near your computer the camera will automatically upload the photos wirelessly

Lightroom has nothing to do with tethered shooting.

You sure about that?

There are several websites telling you what this guy basiclly is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
just remembered that theres another way to do this. (it may be what was described above) but its an SD card with wi-fi built in so whenever you're near your computer the camera will automatically upload the photos wirelessly

Yes yes that is exactly what I had been talking about.Unfortunatly they only provide this SD card in the standard size.My camera takes the pro duo.So I'll have to wait or...search for a male pro duo tip to a female standard sd slot.Im sure someone is bound to have something like that.

Wireless sd card? Ca you point me to one? I've never seen any. But sounds lie something worthwhile.

Most reactions

Back