About rear lens caps!

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
A current idiocy over on the DPReview is a 3 page discussion on the merits of $15 Nikon branded rear lens caps vs $1 generic ones from China.

Really?

Some folks just have too much time on their hands. (Or not much imagination!)

wow. I got 10 body caps and 10 rear lens caps, all nikon branded, on ebay for $20 and they fit just fine.
next, we will be discussing how Nikon and Canon branded camera bags are better than the Tenba, domke, and crumpler bags.

if your not OEM, your not a professional!!

A current idiocy over on the DPReview is a 3 page discussion on the merits of $15 Nikon branded rear lens caps vs $1 generic ones from China.

Really?

Some folks just have too much time on their hands. (Or not much imagination!)

Ok, but don't the ones from China have a cheap plasticy feel to them? As opposed to the cheap plasticy feel of the ones that say Nikon on them? Rotfl.. ok, ya, right.. see, this is why I really should resist the urge to "help". Lol

That's the problem with huge websites - 10001 members all want their say.

TPF we just get to around 5 pages not an insane 20 ;)

I am not a fan of the newest Nikon rear lens caps, the ones with the smooth back end. I prefer the older ones, the ones with the interlocking lugs on them. I normally "stack" my smaller primes using two Nikon branded rear lens caps which have been taped together. With the interlocking lugs, a couple of wraps of masking tape makes a very strong connection. Using duct tape makes it even stronger. This allows me to pull out TWO lenses at one time when working from either a waist pack or a shoulder bag. I've been doing this for years.

60425452.jpg

from my pBase site:
1On the left is the silver-colored 45-P Nikkor with its special grey-colored rear lens cap fitted to a regular Nikon rear lens cap,and simply taped into place using blue masking tape. The bottom lens is an 85mm f/2 AiS Nikkor. The perfectly-matched lugs on Nikon rear lens caps actually "lock together"very well,and can easily be either taped or glued together. The connection between the two caps,with probably over 100 small interlocking lugs, is a VERY strong connection,even with just a couple of wraps of gaffer or masking tape; with epoxy added, the bond is PERMANENT.

Until you have tried this method, don't knock it! So, on the left we have the 45-P with its NC clear filter and special "bowl lens hood" fitted,and the Nikon BR2 lens reversing ring mounted on top of the NC filter. The BR2 does not interfere with shooting or anything,and just rides along there with the 45-P,ready for use. The bottom left lens is the 85mm f/2 in AiS mount, and the individual lens on the far right side of this photo is the 35mm f/2 AF-D Nikkor for a size comparison. In actual carry, two small lenses like the 85/2 and 45-P act and carrry almost like "one lens" when their rear caps are attached in this manner.

Nikon D2x
1/200s f/11.0 at 105.0mm iso250 full exif

There's an insanely different quality in the rear lens caps made in Japan, Singapore and the ones made in China.

If you remove the basic "plastic" of them all, they all of course, offer the same basic design.
But if you look really closely, you'll find out that ... well .. umm ... well .. their made of plastic.

okay with that theory all blown to wazoo .. well what about vintage ones versus modern ones ??

:)

There's an insanely different quality in the rear lens caps made in Japan, Singapore and the ones made in China.

If you remove the basic "plastic" of them all, they all of course, offer the same basic design.
But if you look really closely, you'll find out that ... well .. umm ... well .. their made of plastic.

okay with that theory all blown to wazoo .. well what about vintage ones versus modern ones ??

:)

Yes people, the Wazoo has been blown. Nothing to see here. Move along people, move along.. rotflmao

Confession. Lost my real lens cap and replaced it with a closeout one from Walmart. Please forgive me? I was out of town. At least my UV clear glass is the right brand.

profound thinking about stuff

I gotta' be honest, I think there's a difference.

While not an end cap, I bought a Promaster center-pinch lens cap for my 24-70mm. I guess it fit well enough, but it would fall off if you looked at it wrong. The Canon branded one I bought later on fits perfectly and has never fallen off...

Confession. Lost my real lens cap and replaced it with a closeout one from Walmart. Please forgive me? I was out of town. At least my UV clear glass is the right brand.

Ban-1.gif

Heresy!!! HERESY!!!

A crap.. were out of tar. Ok, who didn't order the tar? You think you guys would check this stuff and order it when we start getting low. We got a whole big room full of feathers, and look, like one drop of tar. Sheesh.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back