About to buy a Sony NEX-5, any other suggestions?

Vweeks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I've had my eyes on the Sony NEX-5 for a while now. Initially I wanted the A35, but the FPS was less than the NEX-5 and also it doesn't come with a lens (aside from the $1000 kit). So does anyone have any suggestions as to another camera I could get that would suffice for taking fast paced pictures? (In the $500 dollar range?) And the type of pictures I will be taking will be skateboarding sequences, and nature shots. Any tips on editing these types of photos or what mode to shoot in? Thanks.

I look at the NEX-5 and can't help thinking that it would be an ergonomic nightmare. Having a camera fit in your hands well and have controls that are well laid out and easy to manipulate means a lot to me. Here's a quote from Dpreview:

"The NEX-5 and 3 might well win an award for the lowest number of external controls of any camera."

Also, at 2.3 fps and 7 in speed priority mode scares me. There has to be some huge trade off to get that 7fps.

Trying to get fast-action shots with entry-level/budget equipment is likely to lead to frustration. I'd recommend saving for a while to get something that will offer you an acceptable fps figure without compromise. The Nikon D5100 gives 4FPS and I believe Nikon offers the best value in it's hobbyist/enthusiast level lenses over it's competitors. Also, a refurbed D200 might be something to look at too. I'm not a Canon guy but if you do decide to wait till you can afford more options, be sure to look at Canon too. N & C are constantly trying to outdo each other and that means win for us.

I look at the NEX-5 and can't help thinking that it would be an ergonomic nightmare. Having a camera fit in your hands well and have controls that are well laid out and easy to manipulate means a lot to me. Here's a quote from Dpreview:

"The NEX-5 and 3 might well win an award for the lowest number of external controls of any camera."

Also, at 2.3 fps and 7 in speed priority mode scares me. There has to be some huge trade off to get that 7fps.

Trying to get fast-action shots with entry-level/budget equipment is likely to lead to frustration. I'd recommend saving for a while to get something that will offer you an acceptable fps figure without compromise. The Nikon D5100 gives 4FPS and I believe Nikon offers the best value in it's hobbyist/enthusiast level lenses over it's competitors. Also, a refurbed D200 might be something to look at too. I'm not a Canon guy but if you do decide to wait till you can afford more options, be sure to look at Canon too. N & C are constantly trying to outdo each other and that means win for us.

I'd second the D200 and if that isn't fast enough then one with a grip should be.

One more important thing to consider is that the D200 is a really rugged camera. Any kind of sports shooting is a concern as far as the well being of your camera is concerned but fast moving boards seems to really take a toll on equipment and life is short enough for consumer grade cameras.

I have the 5n with the 18-55 kit lens and some legacy lenses. I LOVE it, its small and light and give me the tools to take some great pictures but thats only my opinion. It fits all the needs that i have, while it may not be for everyone, It works great for me. While the lens line up isnt as robust as other camera lines, with inexpensive lens adaptors you have a plethora of legacy lenses. Also with the LA-EA2 adaptor from Sony you can use old and new A mount lenses with Phase Detection Auto Focus as opposed to the NEX's Contrast Detection Auto Focus. Just something to think about, i would recommend finding a store with the NEX and other recommended cameras and try them out. Pick the camera that feels good and works best for you, the more you like it the more you will use it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back