About to buy my first DSLR

Slais

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey!

I'm about to buy my first DSLR camera and since I'm a student I don't have tons of money to spend on it (nor I think I even should).

I found a christmas sale of a Nikon D5300 + Sigma 17-55mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens for 749€. I know I could get the same camera + kit lens for around 150€ less money.

Is the extra 150€ I'm about to use for this package worth it or should I stick with the kit lens instead? And do you have any idea if theres a better combination avaiable for less than 800€?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
It's the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 - the Nikon is 17-55mm 2.8 and it costs a fortune :)
It is really worth the 150$.
I have that exact same combo - Nikon D5300 + Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 OS.
It's an amazing lens - I spent more than 1000$ on the combo in August, so, for 750$, that's a no brainer ;)
Also bought a 35mm 1.8, a Nikon 70-200mm f/4 and a Nikon SB-700 (flash)...
Go for it. You will love the camera.

Cheers

Aye, failed to write that correctly it seems
:02.47-tranquillity:
I've also been wondering about the accessories I should buy with the kit said above? Obviously a couple of memory cards, but what else? I love going out and taking landscape and nature pictures so a tripod will be something I'm gonna invest as soon as possible and also a weatherproof camera bag. Got any suggestions on that field? And yes, I'm still going to be on a budget when purchasing those.

Two 32 GB memory cards are sufficient. I have never filled one in a days shooting. Never had a failure, but I always carry a spare.

I have been using a Vanguard alta pro 263ab tripod for several years. Rated for 7 Kg, I have used my cameras with up to a Sigma 150-500 mm lens. Good kit for around $200 US. Review: PHOTONews Magazine – Vanguard AltaPro 263AB 100 Tripod Test Drive

A three-way hotshoe level similar to this: Amazon.com : Altura Photo Three Axis Hot Shoe Bubble Level for Canon DSLR Cameras : Digital Camera Accessory Kits : Camera & Photo

I have camera bags and backpack, depends on if I am hiking or driving. My collection of camera bags has grown over the years as my needs have changed. Check yard sales and thrift stores for economical first bags. Buy bigger, allow room for future accessories.

Phil

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nikon D5300 is an excellent camera and I would absolutely recommend to get it with the Sigma lens over the Nikon kit lens, it will be well worth the extra cash.

Good luck

Most reactions

Back