About to upgrade to a 5d. New or Refurbished?

I never heard that...but every once in a while, the demand far outweighs the supply and a backlog is created.

For example, others are saying that the Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR is out of stock everywhere, probably because a lot of pros are switching to Nikon (they'll switch back :er: )

Nikon Schmikon.

Oh boy, have I got myself into a pickle. I think I'm pretty set that it's not really necessary for me to buy the latest greatest. There doesn't seem to be much reason to believe the hike in megapixels will be enough to worry about (otherwise the camera starts to infringe on 1D series market). If that's the case the other likely add ons are just kind of like nice frills that I don't really need and wouldn't be enough to cause me to shell out the, probably, $3000 price tag.

So, if I'm fairly set on not upgrading to the newer model, assuming it's released, is there a good reason to wait to pick up the 5D? I doubt I'll buy it from the used market, which pretty much just leaves refurbished and new. What do you suppose the odds are that the the price will drop any more?

With a lot of company's the term refurbished just means it was handled by human hands. This could mean anything from there was something wrong with it and the factory fixed it to someone bought it didn't like it with one shot and returned it.

For example, others are saying that the Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR is out of stock everywhere, probably because a lot of pros are switching to Nikon
Why would pro's switch en mass?

I would have thought they'd be the last people to swap brands with their large investment in kit, familiarity with brand and greater immunity to fads.

It comes with a 90 day retailers warranty. But it's refurbished by Canon USA. It doesn't say anything about a manufacturer's warranty though. Thumbs up, thumbs down?

Are we talking about Adorama here? If so they offer a two year warranty that can be purchased separately for $69.95.

Brian

Been buying refurb everything all my life, and never had any problems. With a warranty? Go for it.

Most reactions

Back