Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I've begun to run into a serious storage problem; not my bodies and lenses, or even my main lighting gear, but all the little odds and ends such as the spare springs that hold diffuser in place on my beauty dish, and my collection of grids & snoots for my speedlights, extra clamps, booms, etc. These aren't things that I want to tote around all the time, nor do I use them at the same time, so I'm not sure that I want them all tossed in a big Rubbermaid bin...

How do you store all the odds and ends that pile up after thirty some-odd years behind the lens?

I have a BUNCH of smaller, Rubbermaid type bins for small stuff, and in those I use 1/2 gallon and gallon Zip-Lock type bags....got a bag full of extra rear caps, one of lens caps, bunches of lens hoods, bags of lighting gear stuff (spigots,clamps,1/4x20 to 3/8 bushings. tripod thread screws, misc stuff". I bought a nice Ikea shelving unit, and the tubs slide into it really nicely. It will hold a Speedotron 102 head + 7 inch reflector handle-down, with the cords coiled in each compartment, plus a bigger reflector tucked behind. A 16 inch barn doors or reflector fits on top and overhangs by 1 inch, so the depth must be 15 inches. Yeah, after 35 years or so, the amount of "small stuff" that piles up is pretty large. I keep flashes in both a mesh dive bag and an old camera bag. Lightstands go in laundry baskets in duffel bags.

Bags for stands, soft boxes, umbrellas etc. Various Plano rack system tackle boxes for smaller components by need.

For storing long skinny stuff in and around the studio, like boom arms, umbrellas, monopods, etc, I sawed off pieces of my empty seamless paper rolls to the appropriate lengths.

Large multi drawer mechanic's tool chests on castors come in a variety of qualities. A stainless set with top grade drawer slides would look good in an industrial looking studio.

For a more formal environment a similar storage unit on hidden wheels made of hardwood would be very nice. A cabinet maker could make you one to your exact specifications.

I store my stuff in maple cabinets I made.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back