accidental panning.

hazcapjax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never been able to master the art of panning. Though the background is not level, and the focus is a bit off, I was rather pleased when I grabbed this shot since it is partial panning.. Any hints or incite on panning? I would love to be able to get these types of shots on the regular.

haz.jpg

Well, it looks like full-blown panning to me. Panning is one of the very few situations in which using Shutter Priority automatic exposure control makes the absolute most sense!

To pan, use lower ISO settings than normal. Experiment with different speeds....panning at 1/60 is one thing....panning at 1/15 another, and panning at the 1/8 to 1/2 second range is a study in blurring and evocative renderings...

Turn ON your Image Stabilizer, Anti-Shake, or Vibration Reduction lens,and panning photos will usually not suffer from up-and-down camera motion...practice panning and following along with the subject at its exact speed.

ahh... thanks! I was a little disheartened that her shoulder was the main focus and not her face and or the ball. Guess practice makes perfect... How would you go about keeping one specific location in focus while doing everything else you mentioned? :geek:

not trying to hijack, but what is partial panning?

Nothing. It's like being pregnant. You either are, or you aren't. You can't be partially pregnant, and you can't partially pan.

Guess I worded it wrong. I meant it like the idea was there but the execution needed work... since her shoulder is in focus rather than her face... sorry about the confusion.

Try stopping down a bit too, you don't need to be shooting wide open or even at a stop or two closed, try F11, this will give you more dog in focus and probably slow the shutter well enough for the panning to work well, I usually have my shutter around 1/15 on cyclists or runners stopped down to 11 or 16 and get good results imo. H

Guess I worded it wrong. I meant it like the idea was there but the execution needed work... since her shoulder is in focus rather than her face... sorry about the confusion.

Ha! No worries, I thought it was some sort of cool panning technique that I should try... :lol: Too bad about the 'partial panning', it would have been a good picture of her.

Most reactions

Back