Account deleted

Havemann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Account deleted

Last edited:
I would recommend a Gitzo Mountaineer series, the 2541 seems really nice. I use a 3531 which sacrifices a little bit of size and weight to be more sturdy, but it's extremely sturdy, and I wonder if the 2531 would've been enough. The xx41 models fold up a bit smaller, and I think for situations of critical strength, there wouldn't be any sacrifice for having 4 leg sections, as they would likely be collapsed anyway. I would strongly recommend against the Explorer series. I ordered a 2531EX and immediately sent it back due to weakness and flexibility where the center column attaches to the legs. The 3531 Mountaineer is just an impressive piece of engineering though, worth every penny.

I ended up with a Markins Q10 head, which I have no complaints with, absolutely top notch just like the Gitzo. I think if you wanted to shave some weight, the Q3 would still be well over spec'd for the body/lens you mentioned. I went with the 10 because there was a minimal price difference, and I wanted to be future safe, if I ever got into longer tele. The Q10 is a fair bit heavier than the Q3 though. I went with Markin's because they have one of the best weight/capacity ratios. Really right stuff seems to be a bit more concerned with ergonomics at the cost of weight, but came equally highly recommended. I actually ended up getting my quick release plate from them, as markins didn't have an l-plate for the 60D.

I think to decide between the 3 and 4 section models, you should look at the packed length, and also the setup height without the center column extended. You're a bit taller than me, and the 3531 I feel is perfect for my height. If you're shooting some crazy landscape shot and leaving the shutter open 5 minutes or some such... the legs are going to be collapsed for optimal stability anyway, and in that case the 3 section and 4 section will perform the same.

The systematics are cool if you want the flexibility of different center column options, but then you'll of course have to pay for different center column options. I believe the systematics are only available in 3-series or heavier though. If you're really being weight conscious the 2-series is probably your best bet.

For the heads, the Q3 and Q10 are the exact same device, except the Q10 is a little bigger all the way around. The Q3 is spec'd at 65lbs, weighs .83lbs, and costs $310. The Q10 is spec'd at 100lbs, weighs 1.1lbs, and costs $370. For the .3lb difference in carrying weight, and like 20% increase in cost, I decided I'd rather have the stronger one. I think for your gear, either will perform quite well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back