What's new

Delete JPG's?

William Baroo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 30, 2023
Messages
255
Reaction score
34
Location
FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you shoot in raw plus JPG, do you delete the JPG's later? I use mine in Microsoft Photos slideshows to help me locate files to edit, but after that, they seem to do nothing but clog up my drives.
 
If you shoot in raw plus JPG, do you delete the JPG's later? I use mine in Microsoft Photos slideshows to help me locate files to edit, but after that, they seem to do nothing but clog up my drives.
Never save them in the first place, but then my JPEGs all look like this so not much point in saving them.

EPL51723.webp
 
Yep, I get rid of them after initial viewing and use. If I really need any, I can always make some from my finished Tiffs.
C
 
I save my RAWs and final jpeg xports. I delete all the intermediate tiffs and dngs.
 
Thanks for the help.
 
I can't display RAW files properly at club meetings or on-line so processed JPEGS are the preferred ready access storage format for me.
 
I generally shoot RAW only, unless I need an immediate use JPEG. Once in LR I use a top down hierarchical system that automatically sorts each time I click down in the tree. I save the DNG and processed PSD files, on the working drive until finished processing or they age out. Then they're transferred to an identical file structure on the secondary drive, really old or no longer needed stuff is transferred to an archive drive (all image files on all drives are managed by LR). Any required JPEG is generated as needed and deleted when done with it. I use synchronized online backups.
 
RAW only for me as well.
 
G'day mate

If you ever become involved in photo cubs or exhibitions - they -only- accept JPEGs
Similarly for this forum -and others- they only accept JPGs (if memory is correct)
If you ever make up a photo book for printing, either personally or as gifts for family / friends, the printing industry -only- accepts JPGs

As to 'clogging up' - I would suggest that heaps of extraneous RAW images will clog up stuff faster than JPGs
Something to think about
Phil
 
G'day mate

If you ever become involved in photo cubs or exhibitions - they -only- accept JPEGs
Similarly for this forum -and others- they only accept JPGs (if memory is correct)
If you ever make up a photo book for printing, either personally or as gifts for family / friends, the printing industry -only- accepts JPGs
. . .
What about that new file type "HEIF" is it? Is that around yet?
 
I keep 50/50 of both as RAW files weigh more but they also give you more editing freedom, so some of my photos are left in RAW for future editing possibilities and some are kept in JPEG since I want to keep them and they don't need further editing.
As for the photo cubd ans exhibitions only accepting RAWs, that's true, but there are ways to convert RAW to JPEG. If you don't need JPEG at all and memory storage isn't the problem, there is no reason to keep them around.
 
I shoot only raw files.
I shoot only JPG files. :cheerful: I think we all have our own level of necessary data, file size, speed and space. I won't even hint that JPGs are as "good" as RAW. But I will say, I don't need a Ferrari to go grab a steak from the butcher shop or that I should insist on using USDA Prime meat to make a hamburger on the grill. All I'm saying is, what's the end use and how much data and perfection, is actually required, to prevent some data loss. RAW isn't the answer, it's just one of the tools that enhances the original image quality, or the ability to adjust before it's finally edited.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom