Action Shots in low light

iluvphotography said:
I should set the shutter speed to around 1/2000 first, then go as wide as possible with aperture, and then if it was still too dark, try to increase the ISO. Right?

Digital Matt said:
There is no way we can tell you what your shutter speed should be.

Matt is absolutely right ...

And I may owe you an apology for creating the impression that a 1/2000 shutter speed is the "be-all; end-all" for shutter speeds .... it ain't ! Of course, the faster the shutter speed for sports, the better to stop movement - but you're going to be in situations where 1/2000 is just absolutely not posssible !

Your shooting situation is going to be unique, so for me to sit here and say that you've got to have a shutter speed of 1/2000 would be totally wrong on my part ....

I'd first take a reading and see how your camera is metering the scene, and make adjustments from that. It may very well be that you wind up shooting at 5.6; ISO 800; 1/1000 - and if that's the "correct" exposure, that's fine. Please don't get sooooooo hung up on one of those variables that you ignore common sense ..... I mean, if you set your camera at 5.6; ISO 800; 1/2000 and your shots are a full stop underexposed, then (obviously) those settings won't get the job done.

Torus34 does make a good point about getting action coming toward you. To add to his post it's always good to get faces in action photography, too, and with the action coming at you it's just that much easier.

when i shoot action i shoot no faster than 1/250 (check out my site) it shows motion just a sergestion

Thanks guys for all the good points... Here are a couple of my better shots from the event but still a bit blurry.. what do you think

fb4fre2.jpg

9f10re2.jpg

512are2.jpg

fb4fre2.jpg

512are2.jpg

9f10re2.jpg

OK let's try again... They are from Yahoo album... does that have anything to do with it?? My Flickr account is full so I can't upload pictures there..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back