Active D Lighting

Wiggz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do not fully understand exactly what this is! I have been shooting with it off... how do you guy shoot as far as ADLighting goes?? My camera has a few diff ADL settings but I really don't understand any of them... :(

But if you are shooting in "normal" conditions, it will just cause the camera to take longer to process the image (about 3sec on my d3000)

It doesn't mention it on that link but it doesn't work on RAW images. So if you shoot in raw it's useless, and you should always shoot in raw.

Yep I am deff shooting in raw lol. Bummer I was lookin forward to giving it a shot next time I went out to see the differences Thanks everyone for the info though!!

so, if you have it on and shooting in raw, does it slow the camera down? or does it just ignore the fact that it is enabled?

here is a good short reading about active d lightning

Nikon glass: Active D-Lighting

basicly the only thing active d lightning does is detecting highlights and shadows and set the exposure by +-/1/3 2/3 to get more details out of these highligts and shadows. its does apply the result to your photograph even if your shooting in raw but you will only be able to view the result on the view finder or nikon NX. active d lightning is in the raw data but photoshop and lightroom cannot reproduce it automaticly.

you can achive the same result and better result using fill light and all the adjustment tools in photoshop or lightroom since active d lightning dont take noise into consideration and you do.

Last edited:
Viewing the results in the viewfinder seems kind of moot. Since I only shoot raw and don't have Nikon NX I ignore this feature now.

Most reactions

Back