Additional Lens(es) to complement?, according to my interests.

giorgio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi There

I'm a beginner.
I have the D80 with the 18-135mm F3.5-5.6G kit
I haven't practiced much yet but I have read a lot.

I think my current lense is somehow... flexible and good for general purposes I guess.

I'm seeing myself wanting to shoot in...
- Outdoors(streets, people, markets, etc.)

- Candids and portraits in social reunions, people minding their business, etc.
Here, in Candids, I guess I'm gonna be kind of far from the subjects, so it would be me just sitting or walking around taking pics with no tripod nor flash mostly.
But I have thought of living strategically a remote Flash(vivitar) on a stand covering an area, and still shoot some candids

In social portraits(sorry, I don't know the Photogs terms), by this, I mean when in the reaunion I make contact with the subjects and there is some posing to the camera, so there I may be able to pull out a Flash with no problem.

So, with this in mind, what would you think about the lenses considering the one I already have.(18-135mm)?

My opinion:
I think the first or almost obligated option would be the:
- 50mm 1.8
-- I think it will improve portraits indoors and outdoors, maybe not much as candids as it doesn't have zoom, but for the price/benefit relation seems to be a must. Right?

Not sure if I would need more than 1 new lense, like, maybe one with variable zoom but better lighting than than my 18-135, or the one I've got could do it just as good as another similar lense?
Like for the Candids, Outdoors, Indoors.?
For Candids, would my current 18-135mm most likely make me increase the ISO?

Regarding the budget, well I know these lense range from 120usd to 700usd so that's why I'll check opinions about the related benefits.

Thank you very much for your help

Giorgio

Yep, the AF 50mm f/1.8D will be a nice addition to your lens lineup, but won't help much fort candids.

Many street photographers just approach a person and ask permission to photography them and the 50 mm would be good for that.

I don't know about the laws in Mexico, but in the US you don't really need their permission if they are in a public place and can't have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Hi to all again...

I came across on a website(amazon) with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, at 800usd.
I haven't researched yet for other websites and deals.

I'm a beginner and unexperienced, but for some reason I think it would be a good additional zoom range lense, (besides getting the 50mm 1.8).

I think it will help A LOT for social events, candids, scenes, etc. and as the best option when without Flash.

Right? what ya think?

BTW, if there's something similar, better or with different aproach please let me know also :)

Giorgio

Last edited:
Didn't want to start a new thread for almost the same issue...

Lets say I have like 800-1200usd budget.
(You can see my current equipment on my signature.)

What would you guys recommend the next step to improve and/or easy up photography.
My interests:
Wedding like photos, social events, not saying I will shoot weddings, just want to be able to take pictures often taken on weddings and on same range of circumstances(low control on environment, everyone is moving, no second shots, low light, etc.,)
Candids indoors and outdoors, street, urban, people.

Portraits/Model: Not necessarely fashion photos, but in more general like executives, rockstars, artists, families, casuals.

So it could be lenses and/or lighting equipment, considering what I already have.

For example
I was thinking maybe:
1x 50mm f/1.8
1x versatile lense = something like 70-200mm 2.8 or XX-70mm 2.8 or something in the middle?
1x big softbox

Or maybe
3 lenses, and figure out how to use my umbrellas as Softboxes...
Or do my own softbox. I do think having an artificial and portable "window-like" light source could be real cool.

BTW, I supose there are softboxes for Flash strobes, I don't have continuous Flash ligths.

I also think there's the posibility that getting 3 more good lenses could be too much $ but not because they don't worth it, but more of how I combine them...,
I mean, is obvious that covering the most range possible at 2.8 would be great, but, maybe having 2 lenses: A prime 50mm 1.8 and another one with flexible zoom AT CERTAIN range at 2.8 could be almost as good(2 instead of 3).

Any opinions?

:)

Salutes

The AF 80-200mm f/2.8D would eat up your whole budget by itself.

I see...

I've seen a Sigma 70-200 2.8 for 800usd...
and the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 for 120usd
which it gives 920usd..., but as I a mentioned before, maybe there's no need yet for 3 lenses, when having a trategic good range chosen with the first 2.

maybe something like that even with other brand.

and also maybe I could add a little of $ if it completes an interesting setup, but my logical says that with the 50mm f/1.8 and another one f/2.8 could make the most significant improvement from my current point...,

and adding a 3rd one by doubling the amount$ but not necessarely doubling the "improvement" from the point I could be with the 2 lenses.
...I guess.

:)

Another thing I'm also checking...

...is that if I buy some lenses.., I'm gonna be kind of stuck with Nikon, which I'll better want another Nikon if I end up wanting an upgrade.
Hmmm...
ha!

If you want more reach for street photography, the sigma 70-200 2.8 would be a good budget minded choice. It has very good optics, but not quite the level of Nikon or Canon. I almost bought one myself, but I feel that I really would benefit from Image stabilization, or Vibration reduction in Nikon terms, so I'm holding out until my budget allows, plus I already have a 70-200 f/4, so that is holding me over for the time being.

A 50mm 1.8, is a great addition to any bag, especially for price. A very wide aperture opens a lot of opportunity for creativity, and low light photos.

A softbox would be nice for studio type photography, but they can get pricey. There are options available for your speedlights, but consider something that can stay with your kit if you upgrade to studio strobes.

Consider what will give the the most usefulness for your money, and improve your photography the most.

Will extending your reach get you more great shots? then get the 70-200

Do you shoot a lot indoors with no flash? Maybe a 2.8 Zoom or a fast prime or two.

Do you love portrait photography? Soft box it is.

Prioritize your needs and get what suits you right now, but don't spend all of your budget just because you have it. Save what is leftover and put it aside until you shoot a bit more with your new gear and then decide what to buy next.

I have the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and can say nothing but good things about it. Great IQ and all that stuff. A 50 would be good or even a 35 1.8 would be good because that is like a 50 on a FX camera. GL
TJ

you can buy a mint nikon 80-200mm f2.8 used for as low as $500 (what i just paid for mine), so id skip the sigma for one of those.

but buy the 50mm first, its the sharpest lens nikon makes.

you can buy a mint nikon 80-200mm f2.8 used for as low as $500 (what i just paid for mine), so id skip the sigma for one of those.

but buy the 50mm first, its the sharpest lens nikon makes.

Is this on ebay?
Do one usually bids or "buys now"?

thanks

Most reactions

Back