Adios Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But it seems clear that in a couple of years, with an iPhone 6S in our pockets, it will be nearly impossible to justify taking a dedicated camera on trips like the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage."

Sorry but... :roll:

A gearhead who wrote at length about cameras and barely anything about pictures, who very typically believes that everyone else will think and behave as he will.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking too.

Yes, cameras are dead - if, like the author, you don't mind being limited to one focal length, no macro, no flash, no high shutter speeds, no wide apertures. And most likely no prints either, because who the hell prints anything these days?

edit
You can't upload a print, so they don't matter anymore. That's basically the finishing thought of the article.

And I'm with Derrel - I do use my phone a LOT, but it's mostly pictures of a pizza I just made or something like that. :lol: Not really what I would consider "camera replacing quality".

Last edited:
This is the kind of data-**** that Wired would print, though.
I used to read Wired a lot, but their relevance/quality seems to have really tapered off in the last few years...

They still seem to be the first to get defense news though. That's really the only thing I read it for anymore.

My favorite Wired fan-**** bit was an article about container shipping. Toward the end, the piece breathlessly exclaimed that, one day, the data about the container, location and so on, might be worth more than the contents of the container itself which sounds very cool but one second of rational thought tells you that it's utterly idiotic.

Would you pay $100 for the location of a $10 bill? Wired would!

The New Yorker is at least intelligent, erudite, bozos nattering on about basically the same things over and over. AND The New Yorker usually has a pretty in depth piece that's actually interesting, even if it if written in that ghastly New Yorker style. Wired is just bad design and imbeciles.

Okay, so I went back and read the guy's entire blog piece. THIS statement earned the author my coveted 2014 Throwaway Bull**** Statement of The Day Award (new for 2014!):

"As I’ve become a more network-focussed photographer, I’ve come to love using the smartphone as an editing surface; touch is perfect for photo manipulation. There’s a tactility that is lost when you edit with a mouse on a desktop computer. Perhaps touch feels natural because it’s a return to the chemical-filled days of manually poking and massaging liquid and paper to form an image I had seen in my head."

TBS-TDA Winner!

Okay, so I went back and read the guy's entire blog piece. THIS statement earned the author my coveted 2014 Throwaway Bull**** Statement of The Day Award (new for 2014!):

"As I’ve become a more network-focussed photographer, I’ve come to love using the smartphone as an editing surface; touch is perfect for photo manipulation. There’s a tactility that is lost when you edit with a mouse on a desktop computer. Perhaps touch feels natural because it’s a return to the chemical-filled days of manually poking and massaging liquid and paper to form an image I had seen in my head."

TBS-TDA Winner!

please PLEASE tell me you just made that up....
'cause if he is serious about using a smartphone for real editing...
I just lost ALL respect for him as a photographer.

are you sure he didnt mean 24" touch screen IPS monitor?

also...WTF does being a "network focused photographer" have to do with the editing medium?
or is he talking about taking the picture with his phone, editing it on his phone, then posting it from his phone?
maybe if he has a career in cheap diner lunch photography via instagram...

Network focused photographer = person who can't stop looking at facebook for more than 20seconds.

I liked that too. He's implying that he edited his prints in the developer by poking and massaging them, without quite saying as much. He's lying because he's in love with his terrible analogy, and he's hoping that most of his readers won't know what he's talking about.

The network focused thing is a real point. He's struggling to say something about how we use pictures differently now.

Old model: drop film off, pick up prints/slides a while later, admire them, put them in a box/album/whatever, every so often drag them out for another look.
New model: upload pictures instantly to social media or whatever, share them with hopefully appropriate audience

The trouble with this is that he spent so much time talking about himself and his cameras that he didn't get around to thinking about this stuff much. He's literally years behind in his thinking on this stuff. There has been a sea change, and he thinks it's really cool that he's noticed it. The people who actually think about these things noticed it a long time ago (at least on Internet Time) and have thought through a lot of the implications, which Craig Mod has not.

Then he muddles it all up with the metadata thing, which is separate, but he hasn't noticed that yet.

Wow.. see, now I'm just wondering what that statuette must look like.. rotfl

TBS-TDA Winner!

So do you think the chemicals he's referring to here were ingested, or inhaled? Lol

please[/I] PLEASE tell me you just made that up....

You mean you had any to begin with? Lol.. you are just so much more generous than I am..

also...WTF does being a "network focused photographer" have to do with the editing medium?
or is he talking about taking the picture with his phone, editing it on his phone, then posting it from his phone?

Hey now.. that actually sounds pretty good. Do you think they are hiring? Lol

Would you pay $100 for the location of a $10 bill? Wired would!
Well, I might pay $100 for the location of a shipping container full of $10 bills, lol. It would probably still be wasted money though, as I would likely have no way to intercept said shipping container. :lol:

I work in the defense industry (crazy, right?), so I used to check their site fairly often, as they usually reported the goings on with defense contracts before they hit other media. Even that seems to have changed recently though. A year or two ago, they were reporting things that Lockheed didn't tell their own employees until months later - if at all.

Then he muddles it all up with the metadata thing, which is separate, but he hasn't noticed that yet.
I have to read it again now... I don't think I caught the metadata thing. Parts of it were hard to read, lol.

Variation on a recurrent recent theme:

Goodbye, Cameras : The New Yorker

Yeah..I skimmed through it. His arc is pretty representative...lust for the Leica M3, buying a Hassy 500C, getting his first d-slr with the HUGE influx of digital converts that jumped into d-slr dom with the Canon Rebel and the Nikon D70, the first sub-$1,000 d-slrs offered for sale by CaNikon...a fairly typical photo arc...

Stories like his always remind me about the "entirely paper-less office of the future" that we saw sooooo often in the mid-1990's.

Cough,cough.

I work in an office and get really pissed when they print out memos that they already emailed me.

TBS-TDA Winner!

No, I did not make that up...it's a real, genuine, verbatim, accurate, in-context quotation from the blog post The New Yorker printed on-line. It was so flipping stupid that I just HAD to invent my very own, brand-new, smart-assy kind of pseudo-award for epic idiocy...the new TBS-TDA Award...the Throwaway Bull***t Statement of The Day Award. I mean, Jeebus...the guy is waxing rhapsodic about how awesome it is to edit one's photos on a smart phone's touch screen. I mean, truly, WTF? THAT is supposed to be a good thing?

"Pshaw."

TBS-TDA Winner!

No, I did not make that up...it's a real, genuine, verbatim, accurate, in-context quotation from the blog post The New Yorker printed on-line. It was so flipping stupid that I just HAD to invent my very own, brand-new, smart-assy kind of pseudo-award for epic idiocy...the new TBS-TDA Award...the Throwaway Bull***t Statement of The Day Award. I mean, Jeebus...the guy is waxing rhapsodic about how awesome it is to edit one's photos on a smart phone's touch screen. I mean, truly, WTF? THAT is supposed to be a good thing?

"Pshaw."

Trick is, he got paid for being "flipping stupid." You didn't. Art without commerce is a hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back