KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) version 1 has been around since it was offered as an optional plug-in to Photoshop 7 in August of 2002. In Photoshop ACR is simply known as Camera Raw.

We first got Adobe Bridge as a Photoshop plug-in with Photoshop CS2 (Photoshop 9) in April of 2005.

On February 19, 2007 the first version of Lightroom started shipping and Lightroom utilizes Adobe Camera Raw as Lightroom's Develop module.

Today Adobe's Photography subscription provides Photoshop 18 as Photoshop CC 2017, and Lightroom CC (Lightroom 6.8 - December '16 release).

I continue meeting people who regularly use Photoshop/Lightroom that don't realize Camera Raw and Lr's Develop module are both ACR, though each has slightly different features.
For instance, in Camera Raw we can choose the edit work space, which we can't do in Lightroom's Develop module.

Lightroom's primary function is image database management, which is why Lr's first module is the Library module.

The other thing many people who regularly use Photoshop don't know is that both Photoshop & Bridge can host Raw files in ACR and can do so at the same time.
In other words, you can have 2 different Raw files (or groups of Raw files) open in 2 displays of Camera Raw.
Something else Lr can't do.

To open and host a photo in Camera Raw from Bridge, right click on the photo you want to work on and in the pop up box click on Open In Camera Raw.
If you want to open a different Raw file in Camera Raw from Bridge, so Photoshop is the host, just double left click on the photo in Bridge.

Workflow options in Camera Raw Lightroom doesn't have.
CameraRawWorkflow.jpg

How to tell if Ps or Bridge is hosting Camera Raw.

Host By Ps.png
Host By Bridge.png

I think i am a little confused, i don't really know what you want to tell us with that post :confused-55:

Maybe it is because i don't use Bridge. I just hate it because it is right next to the "Open" button in Photoshop which created a trauma years ago when my computer wasn't very fast... I lost count of how many times i clicked on "Browse in Bridge" instead of "Open" and had to wait several seconds for that stupid Bridge to open before i could close it again. :angry:

I had noticed the difference in ACR already, though you explained it better. Frankly once I started using Bridge and getting more familiar with it, I very rarely open LR now. The other feature I find extremely helpful, is if you click on an image in Bridge, then hit the space bar it brings up a Full Screen view. Personal preference I guess but I like the Bridge/ PS combo better.

Most reactions

Back