Adobe Camera Raw Settings

camjam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jimandlauraphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In Photoshop CS6 when using the Bridge program to open a photo shot in RAW, at the bottom of the screen you can open a Workflow Options dialog box. The dialog box has options for Color Space, Image Size, Output Sharping and Photoshop. In the Image Size box it is asking for Resolution value between 1 and 999 pixels/Inch. What value should I enter? I am shooting a D7000 and my wife a D7100.

Thank you.

I set mine to:
ProPhoto RGB
16 bits/channel
I set the size closest to the native Large image size my camera produces
360 ppi

Sharpen For: None (The reason I set None, is that that sharpening is applied to the image globally.)

When you open a photo in CS6 these values go with the photo from Camera Raw.
In CS 6 all the above values can be, and often should be, changed based on how a photo is going to be output.

The ppi does not apply when an image is displayed on an electronic device.
The ppi only applies when a physical document of the image is made, and the ppi can be reset in CS 6 using the Image Size dialog.

There are other Camera Raw Preference settings.
You can access those preference settings in Camera Raw, CS 6, or Bridge.

CRPreferences.png

Last edited:
Thank you, KmK!

Second question: For printing, I want to make sure my images stay at or above 300 dpi. When I crop an image, I set the cropping tool to the size of print I want (example 5x7). Then from the menu bar I select Image/Image Size and under the Document Size I set the Width but the Resolution stays at 300 Pixels/Inch no matter what size I enter. I was thinking the Resolution should change based on the document size entered. Is Photoshop doing something in the background to keep the Resolution at 300 or are my images smaller than I want?

Thank you again.

Your photos don't have any dpi (dots per inch).
They have ppi (pixels per inch)
Dpi and ppi are not interchangeable terms, and Photoshop is careful to use them appropriately.

The pixel dimensions of your photo and the ppi assigned determine the document size.
When you crop do not put in height and width but don't specify a unit (inches, centimeters, etc). There is also a Resolution value box. Leave it black.

What you are doing then is specifying the aspect ratio of the photo, instead of it's size.

A photo that has pixel dimensions of 1000 x 1400 pixels will be a 5x7 print when the ppi is set to 200 ppi.
1000 px / 200 ppi = 5 inches.
1400 px / 200 ppi = 7 inches.

A 5:7 aspect ratio photo can be printed at many sizes by changing the ppi.

The 1000 x 1400 pixel photo at 100 ppi will be a 10 x 14 inch print.

Your crops are more likely to be in the 2000 x 2800 pixel range or larger.
2000 px / 400 pp = 5 inches
2800 px / 400 ppi = 7 inches

Here is the basic math:
pixels / ppi = inches
pixels / inches = ppi
inches x ppi = pixels

For learning the ins and outs of the the Image sizing dialog - Photoshop Help | Resizing images | CC, CS6

I highly recommend the excellent CS 6 reference book - Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Another good resource is provided with your CS 6.
With CS 6 open, press your keyboard F1 key. It will take you directly to Adobe Community Help. Or on the Applications bar you can click on Help
For the helpx.adobe.com link above I typed "Image size dialog" into the Adobe Community Help, Search box.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back