AdobeRGB or sRGB?

elementgs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After all my research, I'm leaning towards AbobeRGB as my standard and then downscaling to sRGB for anything I release on the web given the inherent display variance monitor to monitor caused by AdobeRGB.

Am I on the money with my intent?

I've done a bit of research on it and from what I can tell, it's almost like this should be the standard, given the wider spectrum of color possibility and the inability to upscale from sRGB as compared to the ability to downscale from AdobeRGB to sRGB...

Any additional thoughts?

There have been at least a couple sRGB vs Adobe RGB threads started here at TPF in the last couple of months.
Raw files have no color space, so the color space setting in the camera only applies to JPEG or TIFF files.

But:
Working Space Comparison: sRGB vs. Adobe RGB 1998

Many editing experts recommend editing using the widest color gamut color space available, which is usually the ProPhoto RGB color space.
LR uses the default color space Melissa RGB which has a color gamut very close to the ProPhoto RGB color space.

Most people do not have a computer display that has a sufficiently wide color gamut capability that can display a sizable fraction of the Adobe RGB color space.

Last edited:
Yes you are on the money based on what I have read and seen also.

I am trusting the Phlearn guy for one on this one.

As Keith said: shoot raw and it's a non issue. If you use LR and shoot raw you will do your processing in Pro-Photo RGB (Melissa) whether you like it or not. You can then output JPEGs to Adobe RGB, sRGB and any one of 2 dozen other RGBs at your whim.

Joe

Lightroom's Develop module Mellisa RGB and ProPhoto RGB have different gamma values.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back