Advice: Canon equip or nikon for wedding/portraits

I had a nonAFn 5D2
I've been there and I am back or actually never really left. More of an adventure actually.
Unless you plan on shooting Video with it or manually focused Portraits I would get a D3s.
Even a D7000 is better for weddings.

I cant afford those cameras...I am sturggling to scrap enough to get the Mark 5d ii or maybe the d700

Just everyone told me that the canon would be the best camera availble untill you start spending thousdands more.

I guess now I am intersted in peoples view of the canon 5d mark II vs the nikon d700

You're missing what I would consider a very important component from this list... FLASH. I understand there are wedding ceremonies that do not allow the use of flash sometimes, but generally the reception and any of the pre-ceremony happenings like getting dressed, make-up room, etc., usually allow flash. I bring this up because Nikon's flash system, IMO, is much better than Canon's.

I'm a Canon guy but agree about Nikons flash. Pick a system and stick with it. They're both great, each with flaws and qualities. Don't try to switch for switching sake or to keep up with the Jones'. I did that and it costs a lot of the business profits. Weddings, portraits, landscapes: all can be shot with either. The lens is much more critical than the body but I would recommend a backup similar, if not the same, as your primary body. This eliminates learning curves and I agree with the poster who said shoot with both. A backup in a bag does no good and you can't sell the prints that aren't shot.

You're missing what I would consider a very important component from this list... FLASH. I understand there are wedding ceremonies that do not allow the use of flash sometimes, but generally the reception and any of the pre-ceremony happenings like getting dressed, make-up room, etc., usually allow flash. I bring this up because Nikon's flash system, IMO, is much better than Canon's.

very good point...spec since my whole lighting system was stolen I was thinking of using a flash on a tripod in stead of reinvesting in a lightiening system

Canon 5D II: A $389 EOS Elan film body design, tinkered with. The ultra centrally-located AF system of the Canon 20D, ported over, and a few extra 'invisible' AF points located within a tight,tight central diamond array. No in-built flash. No in-built remote flash commander. Color-blind light metering. Slow mirror return. Slow shutter lag time. Consumer body build quality.Simple, dumbed-down controls typical of Canon consumer bodies. $2,600

Nikon D700: A nearly professional-level body, and an ALL-new design, not an old warmed over film body. Wide-area 51-point AF system, just like in the flagship Nikons. Built-in flash. Built-in remote commander for off-camera flash units. Color-AWARE, excellent Nikon light metering. Fast mirror return. Fast shutter lag time. Near-professional build quality. Simple, well-designed controls typical of Nikon professional level bodies. $2,600

The Canon is a good sensor stuck into a cheap body. The Nikon is a good sensor stuck in a very nearly flagship body. The choice of which is the better-handling, faster-handling camera is pretty obvious.

I guess now I am intersted in peoples view of the canon 5d mark II vs the nikon d700
If you take single shots and like to manually focus, then the 5D2 will give you a slightly better image than a D700.
It is also the best for Video under the same conditions.

However you will have to avoid this serenado:
Using a 70-200 to zoom in on anyone walking either way in the isle and taking multiple shots as they come toward and past you.
Both the D700 and the D7000 can handle this a lot better than the Canon.
The D5100 and D7000 can be set up to Autofocus Movies while on a Tripod unattended and these Videos are nearly as good as the 5D2.
You will have to wait for the D800 for really superior Video.

Most reactions

Back