Advice: Canon equip or nikon for wedding/portraits

megastahr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for some help trying to figure out which camera and lense package would be better for what I am doing.
Weddings are my big thing right now, and shoot a lot of portraits, and trying to dabble a little in marketing photography.

Either:

Canon Mark 5D ii
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto
Lens
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

or

Or Nikon d700 (currently have d300)
24-70mm 2.8 sigma.
85mm 1.8
70-200 mm 2.8
50 mm 1.8

Basically I am trying to figure out if its worth it for me buy a mark 5d body and trade my nikons lenses and d300 for the canon lenses listed....or just upgrade to the nikon d700 and keep my lenses and purchase the 70-200 mm 2.8 for the nikon set.

i know its a lot but I am really struggeling and feel I should switch to the canon cause with the trades it will be the cheapest out of pocket for me.

I can list the trade in its entirety if needed

you currently have a Nikon correct? From the looks of things you may be looking to switch entirely over to a Canon. For me I've loved the way my Nikon works. If I was ever in any kind of 'confusion' about which one to go with I'd take the other brand out for a spin. Pending on where you live there may be a place where you can rent camera bodies and lenses. Or if you know someone with either camera ask to borrow it for a day or two. I think this is the best way to see which camera you'd truly like to go with and which one is overall suited for you.

Honestly I'd keep your D300 and look to get some nice lenses. But in the end it's whatever you feel most comfortable with, the results really lay with you and your abilities not so much the camera you have.

Last edited:
Why don't you rent them both at a place that will apply the rental towards the purchase and see what fits best. Myself I would stick to the Nikon gear as you are already familiar with it, D700 is a nice body.
-
Shoot well, Joe

You need 2 cameras you know....

cant justify the money for both sets and I have a d80 as a back up right now

Yes I currently use the d300 and have a d80 as a back up...but ya liquidgrace I see what your saying... I just thought that the deal where I could get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens was a good deal and I could find a mark 5d body cheap and get the features i need without having to spend so much with nikon...but i dont know.

For one zoom lens you're willing to sacrifice all your equipment? Heh? If you're shooting weddings, you'll probably have to ditch your backup camera D80 and buy backup Canon camera. Or you can afford to have full equipment for both Canon and Nikon? I can't find a reason behind all of this, just because of a deal on one lens...

For one zoom lens you're willing to sacrifice all your equipment? Heh? If you're shooting weddings, you'll probably have to ditch your backup camera D80 and buy backup Canon camera. Or you can afford to have full equipment for both Canon and Nikon? I can't find a reason behind all of this, just because of a deal on one lens...

Yah I see what your saying...i was just told that the cannon 5d mark ii was way more bang for the buck than a nikon and I thought I was getting a good deal and the perfect lens...is there a nikon lens that would be comperable in the same price range?

get 2 full frames cameras with at least 24mm and 85mm prime lenses. Shoot both cameras simultaneously.

get 2 full frames cameras with at least 24mm and 85mm prime lenses. Shoot both cameras simultaneously.
That is actually a good advice! Almost everyone has two eyes, but with dslr you use only one at a time.. This way you would be able to utilize both! :)

OP, how exactly do you feel your camera/lens to be limiting you?

OP, how exactly do you feel your camera/lens to be limiting you?

Low light situations. mainly the difference in quality at a higher ISO. I shoot weddings and Im not pleased with the quality specially with lighting situations.
I want a full frame camera as well.

its pretty important that Im able to shoot in low light. haveing a 1.4 and 2.8 aperture is also very important for what i am doing... I need a camera body that is able to shoot in low light at high ISO with out having a grain problem.

I had a nonAFn 5D2
I've been there and I am back or actually never really left. More of an adventure actually.
Unless you plan on shooting Video with it or manually focused Portraits I would get a D3s.
Even a D7000 is better for weddings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back