Advice for first children photo shoot

digabella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been trying to set up an in home studio and have got it pretty much set up. I've been playing with the lights and can get good pictures but don't necessarily understand "how" or if you want to achieve this, you do that. The pictures are just turning out decent. I am having my first photo shoot with my nieces Friday, so it is family. They are kids and tend to get fidgety and stuff, and one of them has adhd which makes it that much worse. Ok, here is my actual problem and I just wonder if anyone else feels this way. I know photography is what I want to do and that the only way you get good is to practice, practice, practice. I iie It's my personality. I get scared that there will be problems and that I'll have to "think on my feet" and won't be able to figure it out while the kids are huffing and puffing of boredom. Also, I'm not good at "directing" people. I've never been an extroverted type person so does others have this problem and if so, how do you deal with it. I know doing it is the only way any of it will get better but how do you deal with your nerves to get started. I don't have children of my own, so other people's kids is the only way I'll get practice. :confused:

I've been trying to set up an in home studio and have got it pretty much set up. I've been playing with the lights and can get good pictures but don't necessarily understand "how" or if you want to achieve this, you do that. The pictures are just turning out decent. I am having my first photo shoot with my nieces Friday, so it is family. They are kids and tend to get fidgety and stuff, and one of them has adhd which makes it that much worse. Ok, here is my actual problem and I just wonder if anyone else feels this way. I know photography is what I want to do and that the only way you get good is to practice, practice, practice. I iie It's my personality. I get scared that there will be problems and that I'll have to "think on my feet" and won't be able to figure it out while the kids are huffing and puffing of boredom. Also, I'm not good at "directing" people. I've never been an extroverted type person so does others have this problem and if so, how do you deal with it. I know doing it is the only way any of it will get better but how do you deal with your nerves to get started. I don't have children of my own, so other people's kids is the only way I'll get practice. :confused:

I was a bit introverted before I started shooting people. I got nervous just like you, didn't know what to do, how to direct or "oh god what do I do if something goes wrong" etc. It just takes practice and most importantly time. Over time it will get easier! I still get nervous sometimes meeting clients but I think that is normal. I started out shooting free which lifted a little stress because if something went wrong... hey was a free session, right? Take it as a learning experience.
Just know that for the most part kids are gonna do whatever they want. If they get rowdy play a game of toss with a bean bag or a ball and shoot when they throw it back. They are always full of smiles playing toss.Get their attention. Ask them about colors, what color is their shirt, whats their favorite color... what do cows say etc. You'll get laughs if you say "dogs say MEOW!" Just things like that. Also tickle them with a feather duster and pull it back before you shoot.. it works like a charm!

about your lighting setup... can you post a few pics?

Pose 'em, light 'em up and shoot
bigthumb.gif

fall down. trust me. kids like to see you hurt yourself. if you fall down, you'll get genuine laughs, just be ready to snap!

Thanks for the input. It's like I know it's not "that" big of a deal so why do I get so nervous. SabrinaO, glad to know that it does get better with time and that someone feels all the same crazy emotions I do. Thanks for the offer of help on my lighting. Honestly, I don't know why, it never occurred to me to ask for help on it, duh? Just overlook all the junk, pink walls and pink floors lol! Not to mention the recent leak that hasn't been fixed yet, and my "practice" doll.
This was an office and now it is an office/studio. I did it this week but honestly, I don't have anywhere else I can put the junk in the corner, eventually I will paint the walls and change out the carpet but for now, you know. Anyway, I had read on line to put the softbox on the right of the camera-it is approximately 7-7 1/2 feet from the background. The two umbrella's are to the left of the camera. I've been moving them just accordingly. Obviously, there is a big window to the right-which I am going to put up blackout curtains for that. The lights are delicacy 180's. I just bought them from a friend with the background and stand for a good price. Had no idea if they are "good" lights or not. I also have a barn door. I can't figure out what to do with that thing, because it always just blows out the background or whatever it illuminates anyway. It will only go down to 1/2 power. All the others will go down to 1/4 power-which is generally where I keep them. Let me know if you need any other info. Hopefully, I can remember how to do the pictures...

DSC_9630 by digabella, on Flickr

DSC_9631 by digabella, on Flickr

I dont know how good your pping is but try a composite photo. Have each girl go infront of you backdrop and do some fun poses then just composite them together. Thats what I usually do in studio situations. If you want some funny poses ask them their favorite animals and get them to act like it. Or if you want a serious one tell them to act like the queen of england. You get where Im coming from?

digabella you may not need blackout curtains if you use a fast shutter speed.

nice studio. looking forward to seeing your skills progress. I'm a student too. the ceilings appear low so watch the reflections, and you may want your subject 8-10 feet from the backdrop.

digabella you may not need blackout curtains if you use a fast shutter speed.

nice studio. looking forward to seeing your skills progress. I'm a student too. the ceilings appear low so watch the reflections, and you may want your subject 8-10 feet from the backdrop.

Just wondering-what if you don't have 8-10 feet? The entire room is approximately 17' and there is a desk/office chair at the back.

I dont know how good your pping is but try a composite photo. Have each girl go infront of you backdrop and do some fun poses then just composite them together. Thats what I usually do in studio situations. If you want some funny poses ask them their favorite animals and get them to act like it. Or if you want a serious one tell them to act like the queen of england. You get where Im coming from?

I do get it. You guys are making this sound sooooo easy. I like the composite idea. I'm actually more secure with my pp than my actual camera skills.

With a pitch black background like that composite might actually be easier. Just make sure to keep the kids at the same distance from the camera and keep the camera at the same zoom length. That way the sizes are consistant. I usually put tape on the ground to mark where the child should stand and where my tripod should sit.

Thanks Kbarredo. I'll try that.

Man if you're that wound up about it I have to wonder why choose this as a career.

I mean I do photography professionally, but I tend to avoid anything having to do with people because in reality I'm pretty damned shy.

Man if you're that wound up about it I have to wonder why choose this as a career.

I mean I do photography professionally, but I tend to avoid anything having to do with people because in reality I'm pretty damned shy.

Let's just say that I don't handle change real well, it's my first time trying it "officially" and I just don't automatically know what to do. Afraid something will happen that I can't figure out super quick. Bad case of super jitters I guess. I'm sure #2 will be much easier.

Most reactions

Back