advice for shooting a wedding reception

ilovetherayne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
a friend has asked me to take pictures of her wedding reception and
i'm not sure if i'm fully equipped for it.
what i have is a Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm kit. should i get a better lense? a speedlight flash?? any advice would be great!

If you will be the only photographer there and they will be dependng on you for their only pictures yes, you are teribly under-equipped for that. If you are just going to be there as a supplement to a pro you should consider getting a flash.

Get an SB-400 or 600 and a bunch of spare batteries, and then rent a 17-55DX f/2.8 a few days in advance so that you know how to use it and you'll be in pretty good shape. While you're at it, get an extra EN-EL9 battery for your D40 too. I'd have no problem taking on a wedding reception with my D40, the 17-55, and the little SB-400 flash. I'd shoot in RAW + JPEG mode too. And make sure you have enough memory cards.

General shots: shoot at f/4. Individual portraits: f/2.8. Group shots: stop down to f/5.6 or even f/8 to make sure everybody is in focus. Learn how to use the exposure/focus lock button on your camera too - it'll come in handy.

thanks a million guys.. these answers are exactly what i was looking for.

Most reactions

Back