Advice needed for 35mm B&W negatives SCANNER

danoftroy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I have about 9 years worth of black and white, 35 mm negatives that I want to scan myself if possible, with high quality results.

I was in newspaper and am lucky to own all of my negatives, and it would be awesome if I could scan every frame, so i could look at the digital scans on my computer and then decide what all I want to have printed.

Can anyone please tell me what my options are for me to purchase a scanner that will do 35mm B&W negatives? As much as you can tell me the better, including:

Brand names
Pros and Cons
Other options
Estimate of purchase price

I know I can take my negatives to a reputable professional photo lab and they will scan them, but again, I wish I had that technology in my home at an affordable price.

Thanks,

Dan of Troy

We use the Nikon Super Cool 9000 at work and are very satisfied with it. Amazon.com: Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED Film Scanner: Electronics

A well thought of scanner at a slightly more reasonable price. Amazon.com: Plustek OpticFilm 7600I SE Film Scanner: Electronics

A non dedicated scanner that will provide more uses than just negatives. Amazon.com: Epson Perfection V600 Photo Color Scanner (B11B198011): Electronics

An excellent addition to the scanner for negative scanning. SilverFast Ai Studio 8 :: LaserSoft Imaging
Make sure it works with the scanner you choose.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure, but you might also poll the folks over at rangefinderforum.com.

They scan film all the time. The pictures that look good are mostly either shot in digital, or scanned from film with a dedicated film scanner.

Flatbed scanners like the epson v700 allow u to scan 24 35mm frames at a time, instead of just one like u get with most dedicated film scanners--A huge time saver.

Epson.

How many rolls is "9 years worth"?

Not sure, but you might also poll the folks over at rangefinderforum.com.
Good luck with that. That forum is dead.

I have tried multiple times to join, but I never get the activation e-mail, I never get a response from e-mailing the admin... I don't know what the cut-off date was, but it seems they are not accepting new members... Or their software is just all jacked up...

Rangefinderforum is READ ONLY for me. I tried to join, but it wasn't happening.

edit
From my googling, and reading posts on APUG, I am not alone. Everyone else is having the same problems.

Most reactions

Back