Advice Needed. New Camera. New vs Old. Nikon Z5 vs Canon 5D Mark III

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, been a while since I’ve been here, I’ve decided to trade in all my gear and start over, had to much gear and couldn’t focus on taking pictures.

So my requirements are the following:
-Approximately $1500 budget including lens.
-Full Frame
-General Photography
-Landscape
-Family Photos

My current choices that I’m looking at are:

-Nikon Z5 with Nikkor Z 24-70mm f4

-Canon 5D Mark III with Canon 24-70 F4 IS L USM

There isn’t a huge price difference in the 2, so I’m looking for some insight on these.

Camera I’m coming from is the Nikon D7100. Anyways I could use some advice on these systems.

Hi guys, been a while since I’ve been here, I’ve decided to trade in all my gear and start over, had to much gear and couldn’t focus on taking pictures.

-Full Frame
-General Photography
-Landscape
-Family Photos

There isn’t a huge price difference in the 2, so I’m looking for some insight on these.

Camera I’m coming from is the Nikon D7100. Anyways I could use some advice on these systems.

-Full Frame
-General Photography
-Landscape
-Family Photos

I've been a Nikon and Leica shooter for many years. Just the same as you I have a bunch of gear and I am now thinking of selling all Nikon except my little D3100 and kit lens. D780 goes, Df goes. Leica been gone. I now use Fuji and have 3 of their cameras. Love them all. I always swore that a dslr was as good as any mirrorless. It started with a X100T, then (my favorite) X PRO 3, and finally an XT2. Tried the Fuji and was really impressed. The XT2 came from KEH used, the others in store buys.
These are really great cameras and the Fuji X-Mount lenses are great as well. Built like a tank as well, all metal but still light in weight. Try one, you just may like it.

-Full Frame
-General Photography
-Landscape
-Family Photos

Between the two cameras you list here the Nikon Z5 is mirrorless and uses the new Z mount. The Canon is an SLR and uses the old EF mount. One camera looks forward the other looks back. Go forward with the Z5 and you won't look back.

As @Ysarex said, it is dSLR vs mirrorless.
The problem with the Canon dSLR is the future.

IF you can get ALL the gear you want now/soon, you are OK.

The problem is the manufacturers have already started discontinuing dSLR gear, so if you wait, your only source could be the used market.
Tamron has discontinued the 35-150/2.8-4 and 70-210/4. I don't know what other EF mount lenses have been discontinued. But what will be discontinued next.
I already had to buy a couple discontinued lenses and a camera for the school from KEH.

Having said all that. Now is a good time to get dSLR gear at an affordable price, as people are moving from dSLR to mirrrorless.

Gud Luk

As @Ysarex said, it is dSLR vs mirrorless.
The problem with the Canon dSLR is the future.

IF you can get ALL the gear you want now/soon, you are OK.

The problem is the manufacturers have already started discontinuing dSLR gear, so if you wait, your only source could be the used market.
Tamron has discontinued the 35-150/2.8-4 and 70-210/4. I don't know what other EF mount lenses have been discontinued. But what will be discontinued next.
I already had to buy a couple discontinued lenses and a camera for the school from KEH.

Having said all that. Now is a good time to get dSLR gear at an affordable price, as people are moving from dSLR to mirrrorless.

Gud Luk

The is my reasoning for getting the Canon 5D Mark III, lens will be significantly cheaper, the Nikon Z lens are quite expensive, even the regular prime lens are really expensive. Even the Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 is $600 on amazon, a Canon EF mount is like $100. Honestly, buying used gear doesn't really bother me.

Earlier in the year I sold all my DX DSLR'S and bought the Nikon Z5 with the 24-70 f4 and 14-30 f4, I don't regret it for a minute, the Z mount lenses are so sharp.
That sounds very nice, been hearing concerns about low light focusing issues that may or may not be an issue now, but I've seen some reports of it. Have you heard this issue?

The is my reasoning for getting the Canon 5D Mark III, lens will be significantly cheaper, the Nikon Z lens are quite expensive, even the regular prime lens are really expensive. Even the Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 is $600 on amazon, a Canon EF mount is like $100. Honestly, buying used gear doesn't really bother me.

That sounds very nice, been hearing concerns about low light focusing issues that may or may not be an issue now, but I've seen some reports of it. Have you heard this issue?

Yup. New stuff is always more expensive.

The problem with used, is simply FINDING the gear.
I had to WAIT for the 17-50/2.8 at KEH. They would have it, then it would go out of stock, and I had to WAIT for it to come back in stock.
If you are patient, that works.

I've heard of it, but the type of photography I do, (travel and landscape) I've not found a problem so far,

I’ve decided to trade in all my gear and start over, had to much gear and couldn’t focus on taking pictures.
Merely changing equipment is not likely to rekindle your passion for photography!! (Did you have a serious passion initially?)

For general photography, landscape, and family photos, use a cell phone camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back