Advice needed on first DSLR and lenses!

Immensity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there!

I feel a short intro is in place, so here it is:

I've been interested in photography for a long time now.
My mom and dad still own a Nikon F70 and I can safely say, I've taken more pictures with it than they have, and it's camera that taught me the basics of photography.
I even followed a course on photography at my university, which increased my interest even more.

As I have an expensive hobby (motorcycles and racing them at the track), I never really got to investing in a good camera though, but that's no longer the case.

I recently crashed my bike at the track, which lead to 9 broken ribs, 2 collapsed lungs, fractured radius (at the wrist), dislocated shoulder and a torn shoulder labrum.
Since it'll take some time to fully recover and get back to my old strenght-levels so I'm fit enough to race, I've decided to skip the coming season.
This not only gives me time to fix my bike, it also means I have some money available to invest in something else!
It totally sucks to have been in such a bad crash, but I'm really happy I finally get to invest in a camera and explore photography more.

Before this changes into my auto-biography, let's get down to business!

First of all, what are you willing to spend?
I've decided on a total budget of about €2500,- ($3200,-).
I can't really justify spending a lot more than that at this point.

What do you want for that money?
This should include the body and preferably 2 lenses and whatever memory card that goes into the camera I end up choosing.
I already have a somewhat decent camera bag and a decent tripod as well.
If I'm forgetting some essentials, please let me know.

What are you planning on doing with the camera?
Mainly, I want to cover trackdays and other racing events.
So I want to be able to take good pictures of the bikes or cars on the track, but I'd also like to create some nice images while they are in the pits/standing still.
One of my other interests is action sports, so I'd love to experiment with that as well.
Aside from all that fast-paced stuff, I pretty much want to explore street photography, portraits, concerts, perhaps some macro shots, and what the hell, even weddings!
Those last few things aren't my primary concern though, but I do want to explore them at some point.

What about video?
I have some experience in editing with After Effects and Premiere Pro and I'd like to experiment with self-shot footage.
So yes, I will be shooting video with it, and I'd like it to look good. (as good as my skills will allow)
This is definitely an important feature to me.

Which camera bodies have you considered so far?
I'd say the main contenders for me are the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 7D.
They are within budget to leave me with enough money to invest in the first lenses.
I'm very much open to other suggestions though!
The second-hand market here in the Netherlands isn't that big though, as far as I can see, so please take that into consideration.

What about the lenses?
I'd like to start off with preferably 2 lenses.
One for the motor- and possibly actionsports.
Another one for 'everything else'.
This leads to 2 options:
- Buy the camera body and choose 2 seperate lenses.
- Get the camera with a kit-lens and choose a single seperate lens.
There's so many lenses to choose from, I'm going to leave this up to your imagination.
As an example, one of the combinations I came up with, was the 7D with the 18-55mm kit lens and the 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens. Any good?

In short, what do you need advice on?
- A camera body I can use as a solid base to start exploring photography, but one that is also capable of decent video. D7000, 7D or ??
- A lens suitable for motorsports and possibly actionsports as well.
- A lens that'll allow me to experiment with other types of photography, so I can decide to invest into more lenses specific for a certain type of photography. Perhaps one of the available kit-lenses or should I consider a different option here and skip the whole 'one-for-all'-type lens?

Hopefully I can get some good advice, and if there are any questions left for me to answer, please let me know!
I've already put in quite some time investigating the options, but for some reason can't decide yet on what to buy, mainly due to being somewhat overwhelmed with all the options.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors, English isn't my first language.

Last edited:
Woo, another Dutchie!

I'm afraid I have zero experience with Canon so no advice from me there.
Nikon is another story however. I happen to own the D7000 (my first DSLR) and I'm very pleased with it.
It's great for shooting photos and shoots decent video (I've only tried this a few times but they looked nice then).

There is a second-hand market here, however it's not always easy to find.
You can try marktplaats (that's dutch for market place for you non-dutchies, it's our e-bay :D) but make sure you get the good stuff if you do.
I myself don't bother and buy new. It's rather expensive here and there but heck, I still live with my parents. xD

In any case, I think the D7000 is a great camera to start out with. It shoots very nice pictures, has good low-light capabilities and is a sturdy camera (part magnesium alloy body, makes it pretty strong).

As for lenses: that might be a bit tougher.
For sports in general you're probably going to want something a bit long, at least up to 200mm or longer.
That way you can really get right into the action.
I don't know how close you'll be when standing in the pit, but if you're going to be really close you'll need something shorter too.

I myself got my D7000 with the 18-105mm kit lens. I think it's a rather nice lens (especially considering it's a cheap kit lens) however I'm starting to feel I need an upgrade sometime there.
You can definitely shoot nice images with it, they're just not razor sharp. I don't know if there's any cheap alternatives that are a lot sharper...

You should really consider getting a nice 50mm lens. The nikon 50mm af-d is only €129 and really very sharp. I've heard the af-g is a bit sharper, but it is also a bit more expensive.
Say you get the D7000 with the 50mm that would leave you with about €1500 to get 2 other nice lenses. For €1500 I think you can get some very nice lenses. :D

Any reason(s) you guys picked the D7000 over the 7D, other than Nikon is what you own yourselves?

I do have an additional question though:

What about Nikon vs. Canon when you think of future upgrades?
I might be getting a bit ahead of myself now, but let's say in a few years I upgrade my camera and want to keep using the sexy glass I invested in, what system would you recommend (again, mainly for motorsports, some actionsports and filming) and why?
Probably one of the most debated questions, I know, but I'd like to get as many opinions and as much advice I can get, as I'm eager to learn what the best option is for me.

Thanks for the advice so far, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Nikon - Canon

potayto - potahto

Pick either one and you'll be just fine. Neither one is better than the other all the time.

Right now popular opinion gives the nudge to Nikon. Has not always been so. I picked Nikon 30 years ago and stayed with it. All my old lenses work on all my new cameras. Why Nikon? The shop had in stock a body/lens/drive/flash combination I needed for an unplanned foreign assignment happening the next day. (I was a MF guy till then.)

Once you've settled on a system it later can be quite expensive to switch. So look carefully at the whole system as it is today and how the older equipment was, or is, supported. Nobody can tell you what's going to happen tomorrow or next month.

I chose Nikon for two reasons.

For one, I walked into the shop and held a few different cameras. I liked the look and feel of the Nikon better.
Second, a friend of mine and my brother both shot Nikon at the time (friend still does, brother doesn't shoot anything atm) so Nikon would also enable me to exchange lenses. Pretty handy when someone you know happens to own a lens you might need for a shoot.

I don't think there really is a bad decision when it comes to Nikon vs. Canon.
They both make good cameras which can take brilliant photos... Sure there's probably some differences but they still both make good cameras.

Guess I'll just have to visit the shop again where they have both camera's and just spend some time fondling them like a pervert :p
The lens advice Patrice gave, seems to really be a good versatile set.
Wide angle zoom, a nifty fifty and a good tele-zoom.
I guess no matter what camera I decide on, this would be a really nice set of lenses to begin with.

If anyone has more advice, please feel free to share it.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Most reactions

Back