Advice on a Good Beginner Camera

Sheenie Mcgoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just getting into photography and was wondering what a good starting camera would be. The two biggest things I'm looking for are durability and cost. It doesn't need to be too advanced or anything like that. Also, I said earlier cost was an issue; I'm looking for something around a few hundred, I'd be willing to sacrifice quality for cost. Finally, I'm thinking of buying used to save money. Is this a good strategy, or is a camera something that should be bought brand new? Thanks for any help.

I don't know if you're talking about getting a DSLR, but I got my Canon 450D used for 500, with some extra goodies of course.

Budget?
Point and shoot or SLR?

As for buying used--I'd recommend it if you're buying a higher-grade camera, which are very well made--if you are buying a more cheaply made camera, then your taking a bigger risk of malfuction due to misuse.

Personally I have never purchased new--it's not worth it. Refurb and used all the way. If something isn't built well enough to be reliable used, I don't want a new version of it either.

Budget?
Point and shoot or SLR?

As for buying used--I'd recommend it if you're buying a higher-grade camera, which are very well made--if you are buying a more cheaply made camera, then your taking a bigger risk of malfuction due to misuse.

Personally I have never purchased new--it's not worth it. Refurb and used all the way. If something isn't built well enough to be reliable used, I don't want a new version of it either.

This (some of it).

Definitely need to know your budget to advise you. "A few hundred" could be 200-600. That's a pretty wide range. Gotta have a small range in mind before shopping if you don't want to get stuck with something weak or too expensive.

As for buying new...no need. Bodies I've never bought used, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Only reason I buy them new is because I usually have a great price on it...just worth it at that point. Absolutely nothing wrong with buying used or refurbed though.

Most reactions

Back