Advice on a new zoom lens

gayle23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I own a Nikon D3300 with a 50mm f1.8 prime currently but am wanting to buy a second hand zoom lens. My area is family/child photography. I keep getting asked to take pictures and people are now starting to offer payment but I'm not ready for that and as I feel like I need way more practise using different lenses so need to invest in one to take my photography on a step. My camera is a DX. Anyone have any advice on a good zoom. The Nikon ones are out of my price range. I was interested in the sigma 70 to 200 but with the crop sensor on my camera would that make a good choice?? I just want to get natural family photos where I can be a distance away rather than in their faces!
Any help would be much appreciated.

The 50 on a DX sensor should keep you out of their face. I guess whichever lens fits your budget will be fine.

I have one lens on my Canon camera that I use for everything, a 24-70mm. I have a 70-200 but its waaaay too heavy. I am a hobbyist photographer. I think Sigma has a 24-70 with a Nikon body mount. I had a Canon 70D before I got my current FF so I do have experience with my 24-70mm lens on a crop sensor camera.

The 50 on a DX sensor should keep you out of their face. I guess whichever lens fits your budget will be fine.
Thanks, been considering buying a 35mm 1.8 prime instead or a 24mm prime as that would give me the equivalent (ish) of a 50mm or 35mm on my crop sensor but feel like it might be a waste as I may upgrade to a full frame at some point. Just wandering if there was a decent zoom that would be versatile and not too expensive or whether to upgrade to a second hand full frame like a D700o! I want to progress in my skills but am on a budget. My 50mm 1.8 lens has been a good buy and was fairy cheap, didn't know if there are any recommended zooms that are decent quality but not costing a fortune. I guess you pay lots more for the lower apertures as with the 70 - 200 2.8? Feel a bit overwhelmed and not knowing where to start with building my lens collection.

I have one lens on my Canon camera that I use for everything, a 24-70mm. I have a 70-200 but its waaaay too heavy. I am a hobbyist photographer. I think Sigma has a 24-70 with a Nikon body mount. I had a Canon 70D before I got my current FF so I do have experience with my 24-70mm lens on a crop sensor camera.
Thank you for that, I will check that one out.

I have a Tamron 70-200/2.8 (not the new G2), and it is my go to lens for people photography. It depens how much space you have indoors, and if you want full portraits, or head and shoulders only. I guess the 24-70 would also work, but I like portraits in the 100-135mm range on my crop sensor. It makes it easier-for me at least- to isolate the subject and get the out of focussed background look.

Thanks, been considering buying a 35mm 1.8 prime instead or a 24mm prime as that would give me the equivalent (ish) of a 50mm or 35mm on my crop sensor but feel like it might be a waste as I may upgrade to a full frame at some point. Just wandering if there was a decent zoom that would be versatile and not too expensive or whether to upgrade to a second hand full frame like a D700o! I want to progress in my skills but am on a budget. My 50mm 1.8 lens has been a good buy and was fairy cheap, didn't know if there are any recommended zooms that are decent quality but not costing a fortune. I guess you pay lots more for the lower apertures as with the 70 - 200 2.8? Feel a bit overwhelmed and not knowing where to start with building my lens collection.
Unfortunately, equipment has very little to do with progressing in your skills. Practice does.

You can make use of the lens that is 24-70mm and works really well for almost everything as the issue that you specified can be fixed with the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back