Advice on a paid event I'm doing........

as an exaggeration... would you go to a Brain Surgeon with little or no experience.. who had not done any internships or anything, and had not even been to school? Only read some internet stuff, and maybe a book or two?

When someone takes a job like that.. it is known the OJT will be a part of the needed skills, and you won't be doing anything serious until you "know your stuff!" The OP is trying to skip the OJT and go right to the "know your stuff" jobs!

No internships.. no training.. no nothing, except a camera that will allow her to get decent exposures (but it is the camera doing it... not her!) in natural light.

Makes sense. And now that I think about it, when I started doing iPhone apps a few years ago, I didn't charge my first two clients. Mainly because it was my first app and I wanted the exposure on the App Store.

I'm guessing you'll never know every single API out there but after coding professionally for more than 15 years you have the basics covered (to put it lightly). That does not seem to be the case with the OP.

Yeah. And without those basics I'd be lost when new stuff comes out. So I see how it relates now.

as an exaggeration... would you go to a Brain Surgeon with little or no experience.. who had not done any internships or anything, and had not even been to school? Only read some internet stuff, and maybe a book or two?

When someone takes a job like that.. it is known the OJT will be a part of the needed skills, and you won't be doing anything serious until you "know your stuff!" The OP is trying to skip the OJT and go right to the "know your stuff" jobs!

No internships.. no training.. no nothing, except a camera that will allow her to get decent exposures (but it is the camera doing it... not her!) in natural light.
Um brain surgery is life or death, photos are not :/ Wtc?
And if my camera has been doing all the exposure and not me then why did you tell me how poor my exposure was in my original posts a month ago? Guess the camera wasn't doin it eh?

Speak to my wife...if our wedding pictures didn't turn out years ago it would have been a life and death situation...for the photographer.

Definitely much more DEATH than life, I'm guessing ;)

That was my question in an earlier post. We all take jobs (meaning our normal jobs if you are not a photographer) with little or no experience and get paid. I've been a software developer for 15+ years now, and there are still things I need to learn just to keep up. But that doesn't stop me from charging my clients. Maybe photography is different however...

And if my camera has been doing all the exposure and not me then why did you tell me how poor my exposure was in my original posts a month ago? Guess the camera wasn't doin it eh?

No, those were the ones where you took it off program, and TRIED to do it yourself!

Speak to my wife...if our wedding pictures didn't turn out years ago it would have been a life and death situation...for the photographer.

Definitely much more DEATH than life, I'm guessing ;)

YUP! Lucky for him he did a good job lol

Tell ya what, Elizabeth30! I am going to do us both a big favor.. and just add you to my Ignore list. You definitely are not worth the effort! :) Bye now!

Tell ya what, Elizabeth30! I am going to do us both a big favor.. and just add you to my Ignore list. You definitely are not worth the effort! :) Bye now!
Go for it! You know, I like you Charlie, I really do! You are honest and very candid with your post I just think you need a little anger management.... maybe just a hair.

Go for it! You know, I like you Charlie, I really do! You are honest and very candid with your post I just think you need a little anger management.... maybe just a hair.

:biglaugh:

I have to say, you have a very cavalier attitude about this. "hey, she knows I am not a pro, so if it's not good it's OK."
The thing is when it's not GOOD and you have charged you are automatically a professional whether you believe you are professional or not. Trust me, she is expecting you to have more skill with the camera than the average joe.
And once you have charged for something and it's not all that great it is out there FOREVER to represent you and your skills. Those images will be seen by others who may be looking for a photographer down the line when you've gotten mad skills. But they are going to see that and... You're not going to get the call.

Just because your advertisement has been removed now doesn't mean you won't put it up again. And you probably will. Just remember, the less than skillful images you put out today WILL bite you in the azz down the road because they are out there to represent you. You can overcome it, but it is hard work and it will always be out there...

Whew! 7 pages long??? Ok, I'm thinking the ceremony they want you to photograph is girls only. Put on your 18-55 or rent a 17-55 or 24-70. Put your camera on program, your flash on ETTL. Point the flash twards the ceiling but not all the way up. That will give you pictures a little bit better than a point and shoot. Give them the disk with High resolution jpegs and do not charge them for anything. These pictures will probably never be printed because they are not meant to be seen by any one including males outside the family. It is ok to ask the client questions about the ceremony and what is taboo and what is accepted. You will not insult them. If they want to tip you when they receive the pictures then let them. Good luck!

so since you posted what she wrote... and I can see it there.... are you laughing at her for saying that, or at me because you feel she has a point? :)

so since you posted what she wrote... and I can see it there.... are you laughing at her for saying that, or at me because you feel she has a point? :)

Column A & B. I think you made some very valid points, but we all still need to watch our blood pressure :lol:

If you realized that you needed to learn more photography before taking on clients, then I think you need to be realistic with yourself. You stopped the advertising for a reason. Perhaps notify this lady that you forgot to take down the craigslist ad?

If it's something you'd really like to do as others have mentioned bouncing your flash is going to be your best bet. Depending on when the event is you may have time to learn and understand your flash.

A visit to her home around the time the ceremony will be held is probably ideal. Then you can see how much light you'll have pre ceremony then head downstairs to see what conditions you'll be working with. Don't commit until you know this is something you can do. Let her know you're bringing your equipment to test out how the photos will turn out. I'd also probably ask her what exactly she's looking for in terms of 'photography'. Ask her to show you examples of what she's expecting. There's nothing worse then the client to expect one thing and you deliver another. While clients should always do their homework, it may be good for you to understand the 'quality' she's looking for in the photos. When she says she wants the vibrant colors it looses me in wondering just the type of quality she's seeking in these photos.

Goodluck.

Edit: I posted this not realizing you hadn't registered your business (didn't go through all the responses). So please omit my advice past, calling the lady and letting her know you can't do it (at least paid).

Please read this story. If it doesn't open your eyes then I don't think anything we say will change if you take this gig or not Just an Image

Last edited:
Here's what I don't get, and I'm not being sarcastic, but why is it on this forum I see people tell other people to not do the shoot, or to do it and not get paid. Really?

Those that are giving this advice are ones that know something about professionalism and integrity... not to mention business sense. The OP is likely trying to operate an illegal business. She should probably recognize that PRIOR to collecting payments for goods and services, she needs to Register her business (that she has already been advertising) and apply for a Tax ID with the Department of Revenue. In most states, if you fail to remit ONLY $300 in taxes on G&S collected, it is a Class 3 Felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison. Good Luck OP!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back