Advice on B&W

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and am trying my hand at B&W land scapes and am looking for advice on how to make them better. Much thanks!!

other496_DxO.jpg

zoowater022_DxO.jpg

zoowater034_DxO.jpg

other477_DxO.jpg

shadowsandlight021_DxO.jpg

OP
Emerana

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
2 is sort of blue :)

I thought busy too.... should b&w be less busy in general?

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I first started to look into b&w for landscapes, I soon realised (even before I took the photos, and they were on film, so no instant feedback to check up on one's work right away) that I had to LOOK differently than I would for colour photography. Upon wandering around looking for motifs, I had this distinct feeling that anything too little contrasted (even to the eye) would NOT look good in the photo. As it happened, I was looking for motifs in the same season as we are in now. Lots of bare trees. THOSE, I thought were quite nice subjects given there were only light grey skies to be had for most of the time, too.

Having said all that, I get the feeling that with your 1st and 4th photo you have found something that renders itself nicely to black&white, while the 4th may still get some more contrasts.

And that moon photo will look pleasing in both versions, I think, only do I find the moon to centred, but there is so much room for some cropping that that is a minor thing.

The 2nd and 3rd, however, are the ones that are definitely too busy and too black in the shadows (we don't really see the little statues' faces). And I guess more things could still be recognised in those two when they were still in colour (?)

OP
Emerana

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks very much for the feedback lofoto. I will surely think more about what I am shooting for black and white.

OP
Emerana

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
In these photos you cant see their face in color or B&W, i took some where you could. I liked the silhouette of them and I thought that it was better as a B&W photo. But it does seem lacking and too busy

tbsdphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The scenes in photo 2&3 would look very beautiful in infared. Good shots though. I like the textures differences between the water and the trees in 2and 3.

Most reactions

New Topics