Advice on equipment

sondrapage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all! I just want some unbiased advice to help me with equipment. I currently own the Sony Nex 3N and the Sony Nex 5, along with the kit lens, the F 28mm F2 and the F 4.5-6.3 OSS. I have owned the Nex 3N since 2013 and have been impressed with its capabilities. At this point, I have over $1000 into it, between the bodies and lenses. I would love to stay with using this camera, if possible.

I guess I should say that I am trying to get into making money through photography and of course, have made a slow start. I have done a friend and family members wedding and was very happy with the results. The biggest complaint for me was during the one wedding, the light was very minimal and the results were not impressive in that area.

At this point, I am wondering if this is the fault of available light, model of equipment, lenses, or photographer? In some ways, I would like to upgrade to a newer model of sony E mount camera because I already have the lenses. But, I am unsure how much that would benefit me. Please remember that I am new and trying to gain experience and still learning. Thanks in advance for any advice!

You are new, by admission and by your question, it's apparent. I don't mean that disrespectfully but I'll add that when I see real amateurs, beginners even, charging or considering charging, it really sours me.

I know nothing of your camera so I'm not really able to offer advice in that regard. 2013 is old by technology. Newer cameras are much more capable in low light, especially in conjunction with fast lenses.

$1000 is nothing in the big picture of things. I probably have $25K (or more) in equipment and I REFUSE paid work like weddings and events (I used to do them) because there are more qualified photographers.

A good shooter is going to have double redundancy for everything, 2 bodies, multiple quality lenses and lighting for very low light events.

Sorry for bouncing all over, I just returned from Alaska and I'm spent.

You should no doubt update your body, perhaps even look to Cannon or Nikon, goodglass and perhaps not be taking paid work until you're more familiar with your gear and technique?

...At this point, I am wondering if this is the fault of available light, model of equipment, lenses, or photographer?
Primarily the latter. You simply don't yet have the experience. Different/better equipment would make certain things easier to be sure, but at the end of the day, it's all about knowing how to get the most out of your gear.

Shouldn't this be in the "Aspiring Professionals" forum?

At this point, I am wondering if this is the fault of available light, model of equipment, lenses, or photographer?

Wedding photography is a beast, especially with the constant changing lighting conditions. Having a good camera that can handle low light is definitely something to have in your arsenal. However, you'll know when you need it so I would say yes, your skills as a photographer are the first priority. Just keep shooting, all the time, in every condition and learn how to push your ISO, dragging shutter, etc for all your low light needs.

When is doubt, it is always the photographers fault. Otherwise you would have known how to handle the situation and had the proper gear to do the job.

You can have the best equipment in the world (currently), and bad lighting will still be bad lighting. A beginner's first error is confusing a camera/lens upgrade with natural lighting. Natural light does not improve when you switch gear, it remains the same.

A better DSLR is definitely going to help. Better lenses will definitely help. But understanding lighting (without using a flash), and understanding lighting (with using a flash, reflectors, and/or other gear), is all really important.

I am baffled by the number of people who post here asking questions after 1, 2, or more weddings... and they often know less than I did before I even purchased my first DSLR. I can understand certain circumstances (ie. the bride/groom had a zero-dollar budget for photography), but still... What you've shown with your post is that you have taken very little initiative to learn about photography, and yet you are trying to get into the profession. I suggest that if you want to make a career of photography, or earn income from photography, that you take the profession seriously. Professional development is extremely important... in this case, you're looking at initial learning and training. I don't mean what I am saying in spite, but as a reality check. Start reading, start watching videos, start pouring hours each day into the learning process.

I just want some unbiased advice to help me with equipment.
"Unbiased" ?!?!?!?????? No such animal. Everyone is biased.

I would love to stay with using this camera, if possible.
We all prefer to protect our investments. But I would like to point out that you invested less in your whole system than I invested over the years in compact cameras alone, and my "real" camera (currently a Nikon D750) was almost twice as expensive when I bought it alone, without any lenses and other ascessoires, and its still not the top camera of Nikon, though it wouldnt be the worst choice for weddings. Photography is definitely an expensive hobby.

I guess I should say that I am trying to get into making money through photography and of course, have made a slow start.
Well, good luck with that one. Most photographers are not that well paid. Its really like all artists - some are extremely well paid, once they have a name and a market - but the majority of artists can consider themselves lucky if they dont need a second job.

The biggest complaint for me was during the one wedding, the light was very minimal and the results were not impressive in that area.
Thats unsurprising.

Weddings are probably the hardest area of photography as a technical field, the field when you really need to know the trade through and through.

You also need the real high performance and high reliability cameras, lenses, flashes etc, because yes you want to be still able to get best results in the worst conditions. Like 2x Canon 1D X Mark I or II or 2x Nikon D3s/D4/D4s/D5 - plus the respective 24-70mm, 70-200mm f2.8 zooms and 35mm, 85mm f1.4 prime lenses of that system, plus flashes, like for example Nikon SB800/SB910 or "real" ring flashes, remote triggers (Pocket Wizards?), and maybe stuf like external power supplies etc. And maybe an assistant who ALSO carries two cameras, a couple lenses, some flash units, to cover more terrain. Though of course real setups can be all kinds of different from this, for example very likely one would have a macro lens for photographing the wedding jewelry.

And for real professional high quality work, you need to scout the locations before the event. You need to make a business plan and charge according to the services provided. You need to talk with the groom and especially the bride, so you dont miss shots they want. And so on and so forth.

In some ways, I would like to upgrade to a newer model of sony E mount camera because I already have the lenses.
Unfortunatley I dont know that much about Sony anymore.

I lost interest in this company photographic products after it became clear to me that this company only tries to look good on paper, but doesnt ever make a really well rounded, really finished, really reliable workhorse product. For example, that Sony A7s Mark II everyone is talking about ? Keeps stalling during operation and frequently crashes. Hu ! Now hows that for a top of the line camera. Theres also many other shortcomings, such as the rampant overheating during video, a problem of many (pretty much ALL) Sony cameras. Thats an issue cameras from Nikon, Canon, Fuji etc really never ever have ! So yes the A7s Mark II sensor is impressive, but I kinda rather prefer to wait until Nikon publishes a real workhorse camera with that sensor, thank you very much. Very likely the D810 successor thats due in the next weeks or months.

I know nothing of your camera so I'm not really able to offer advice in that regard. 2013 is old by technology. Newer cameras are much more capable in low light, especially in conjunction with fast lenses.
Well, to my best knowledge thats wrong, because 2013 is still current sensor technology. My Nikon D750 for example has a sensor first used in 2012 in the D600.

The only real change in Sony sensor tech we got since is backlit, which is still rare because it sensors more expensive. The only Sony A7* camera with a backlit sensor is the A7r Mark II - the A7 Mark II and the A7s Mark II do not have that yet.

In my experience, your networking and business skills will have more impact on how many weddings you shoot than the quality of your gear. The gear matters but it ain't close to #1 on what makes a lucrative wedding photography practice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back