What's new

Advice on lens for biking across Asia

bikingman

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another newcomer steps up to tug on the pant legs of knowledgeable. "Can you give me some advice?!"

But in all respects, this is true. I'm going to be traveling across Asia by bicycle next year and would like to take with me the best possible lens. Key word –possible, the conditions are that I don’t have a lot of money; most of my money is going into a charity project. Can anyone suggest a relatively inexpensive lens for some good day and night photos of groups of people, faces of people, and of course landscapes that would equip to a canon DSLR? I’m leaning towards a EF 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 lens. Thank you kindly.
 
nada?
 
I'd say the nifty fifty meets all your requirements. The 1.4 probably being more durable.

What are you willing to spend? What is "relatively inexpensive" to you?
 
Yes sir! In all respects these two (the 1.4 and 1.8) are the lenses I am leaning towards. I know the 1.4 is build better and takes higher quailty photos and thrust me, I would much rather have it but, here's the catch. On March 30 and April 9th I need a quailty lens to take some photos. It looks like I'm going to end up with the 1.8 unless I can find a 1.4 to ship overnight for under 250. O time... sigh
 
the 50 or even a 35mm lens for an only lens will and has done well for a century or so. Remember it will get wet there and carry a plastic bag to protect your camera :D

How fun! I hope you find the time to post a link or some pictures up here!
 
Another newcomer steps up to tug on the pant legs of knowledgeable. "Can you give me some advice?!"

But in all respects, this is true. I'm going to be traveling across Asia by bicycle next year and would like to take with me the best possible lens. Key word –possible, the conditions are that I don’t have a lot of money; most of my money is going into a charity project. Can anyone suggest a relatively inexpensive lens for some good day and night photos of groups of people, faces of people, and of course landscapes that would equip to a canon DSLR? I’m leaning towards a EF 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 lens. Thank you kindly.

Have you thought about the 24-105, assuming it is within your budget. It covers everything from a modest wide-angle to a moderate telephoto and does reasonably well for "portraits". It is my "walking around" lens. It would be my choice if I had to choose only one, best possible lens. My 0.02¢ worth. Good luck on your trip.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
 
Yes I've thought about the 24-105mm and it def is on the top of my list, wish list that is heh, but in all honestly, anything over $300 is out of my price range. hence why I am leaning towards the nifty fifty. The photos will be to document our trip and, with some luck, used to raise charity money. I need something that is going to take some clean crisp, professional-ish photos that isn't overtly expensive.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom