Advice on lens to photograph my new twins...

I've also heard great things about the Sigma 50mm F1.4. It's supposed to be really sharp. The only bad thing about it, if you can call it that, is that it's 3 times the size of the Canon 50mm F1.4.

I would also recommend a flash. I think for Canon, the 480ex is probably the cheapest that will get you all the options you don't even know you need, yet.

Being able to add flash, bounce it off a ceiling or wall, and control the lighting is, IMO, imperative, especially with kids indoors. FWIW, my second was born this Monday.

Congrats.

I am in agreement about getting a good flash for the camera with a diffuser. My wife has the eye for photography, but no interest in learning about f stops or shutter speeds. She uses what I put on the camera and her pictures are always terrific. A good flash will make all of the colors pop. If you look at a photo taken with the built in flash and one with a better flash you will be shocked.

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY
[email protected]

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the advice! I ended up ordering the Sigma 50mm 1.4. It should be here tomorrow. I had the 430EX II in my cart, but decided to hold off on that for now. A lot of the things I've been reading regarding newborn photography has said to use only natural light, and no flash, if at all possible. If someone here feels differently, please chime in. (I was thinking that maybe once they start moving around I'd pick up the flash?)

I've got a place in my house where I think I can set up a little "home studio" that should allow some nice diffused light to come in. I might rig up some DIY lighting from Home Depot with "daylight" bulbs, and diffuse it with some bed sheets or something, make some makeshift reflectors, etc. I'll see what I can come up with. But I'm hoping to find a good slightly overcast day with enough light coming in that I don't need anything.

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the advice! I ended up ordering the Sigma 50mm 1.4. It should be here tomorrow. I had the 430EX II in my cart, but decided to hold off on that for now. A lot of the things I've been reading regarding newborn photography has said to use only natural light, and no flash, if at all possible. If someone here feels differently, please chime in. (I was thinking that maybe once they start moving around I'd pick up the flash?)

I've got a place in my house where I think I can set up a little "home studio" that should allow some nice diffused light to come in. I might rig up some DIY lighting from Home Depot with "daylight" bulbs, and diffuse it with some bed sheets or something, make some makeshift reflectors, etc. I'll see what I can come up with. But I'm hoping to find a good slightly overcast day with enough light coming in that I don't need anything.

Congratulations! I've heard awesome stuff about that Sigma from everyone who has one.

Flash is great if you learn how to use it properly off camera. Just buying a speedlight and popping it on the camera is better than the built in flash, but not by much. Also, the 430EX has a lot of features that are cool but aren't really necessary. My flash setup is two LumoPro manual speedlights and radio triggers, and the whole lot costs really close to a single Canon E-TTL flash. Check out Strobist if you ever wanna learn about flash technique on the cheap.

The point that KmH made about shallow depth of field at 1.4 is a good one. You do need to be a little more careful about where you place your focus point at this aperture. (most of the time you just want to focus on the nearest eye) And you don't really need to be at 1.4 unless the light demands it or you want the specific shallow dof effect. You'll still get lovely bokeh from that lens at ~f/2-f/4 but you'll be able to get more of your image in focus.

Have fun!

I had the 430EX II in my cart, but decided to hold off on that for now. A lot of the things I've been reading regarding newborn photography has said to use only natural light, and no flash, if at all possible. If someone here feels differently, please chime in. (I was thinking that maybe once they start moving around I'd pick up the flash?)

Well, I do disagree about not using flash with newborns. Just about every good newborn photographer I know uses a studio setup with flash and I've done it for my kids. Now, there is a difference between bouncing a diffused light off a ceiling/using a softbox or umbrella and firing a flash directly at the newborn. Firing a flash directly at anybody is usually a bad idea, not necessarily because of any injury, but because the photos will look like crap. My thoughts are the standard disclaimer of not using flash is kind of along the same lines as the disclaimers on hot coffee. You shouldn't poor it in your lap, but you can still drink it.

In any case, if you have an area of your house where you can set aside a place with nice diffused lighting, I would generally prefer that type of setup to a flash, but for me, the flexibility to take the shots in the crib, or bassinet, or when big sister comes over to help with a bottle, etc make it where my flash never leaves my camera.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. There isn't necessarily any one right way to do anything. Lots of ways to take shots that work and the 50mm 1.4 should open up a few options for you.

FWIW, when my first was born, I chased the same thing you are chasing. I also went the fast prime route at first. Didn't get the results I was looking for and when I got a flash and learned how much of a difference it makes, a whole new world opened up. A few years later, I now have the experience where I can appropriately use that fast prime and know when it's the best option, but I still use flash more often than not.

Last edited:
I agree with the posts above.

If you have a nice fast lens like that, you should be good to shoot with window lighting. A good spot may be putting them on a bed, in a room with a large(ish) window. You don't want direct sunlight coming in, but a sheer fabric would help if it is.

You will certainly want to pick up a flash...someday. As mentioned, it's not all that much better if you just stick it on the camera and fire away, but the big benefit of something like the 430EX, is that you can tilt & swivel it, to allow for bouncing the light off the walls & ceiling etc. That will hugely improve your light and it's a technique that you can use to shoot your kids for the next 50 years. Also, it's a lot quicker and easier than setting up a studio every time you want to take photos of your kids.

Getting the flash off-camera, as mentioned above, is certainly going to open up all sorts of creative options...but it is more 'advanced' and does require more time & effort. And if your twins are anything like mine, you'll be short on free time and energy for a long while. :er:

As for using flash with babies...I don't have a problem. It may bother them (a little) but I won't do them any harm...just don't blast them right in the eye with a full power flash...that's not good for anybody :lol:

Alright... alright... I just bought the flash with the Stofen Omni Bounce. Is anybody going to recommend I return the Sigma and get the Canon 50mm 1.2L? :lol:

J/K - I think the new lens and flash will help me get where I want to go. Thanks everyone!

Just a quick congrats on the twins. Have twin 13 year old boys (and a 16 year old son). Having twins is not twice the work. They will quickly get on the same schedule. Change 1 diaper? Might as well change 2. Feed 1, might as well feed 2. And the bond between them will be incredible. Good Luck!

LOL @ Stofen Omni bounce.

Bad choice? I'm a noob... someone fill me in...

It's just not necessary. A ceiling or wall makes a much better bounce surface than any of the gimmicky attachments that are sold. They are all pretty much a waste of money.

For more reading on bounce flash, check out the planet neil blog. Probably the best resource on the net on how to effectively use flash. http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/1-natural-looking-flash/

All I can suggest is that you get a Twin Lens Reflex.

LOL @ Stofen Omni bounce.

Bad choice? I'm a noob... someone fill me in...

It's just not necessary. A ceiling or wall makes a much better bounce surface than any of the gimmicky attachments that are sold. They are all pretty much a waste of money.

For more reading on bounce flash, check out the planet neil blog. Probably the best resource on the net on how to effectively use flash. http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/1-natural-looking-flash/

Thanks - I will definitely start reading that blog. Good thing I only paid $10 for that!

All I can suggest is that you get a Twin Lens Reflex.
LOL!

Most reactions

Back