Advice on Monopods with folding bases and lightweight Tripods?

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question concerning tripods and monopods, an area which I know very little about! I think I am done for lenses now, so maybe I need to look at getting something to help me with get the most out of these lenses.

I am really wanting something that can be taken in a backpack. I don't like the idea of lugging round tripods unless I specifically wish to do night shots! It just isn't my idea of fun and I find good handholding techniques, fast lenses, VR and high ISO can help in most situations. A monopod with legs though is a different story, this could be carried in my backpack without me even noticing it is there!

I came across a monopod today that you can buy a folding base for.. this looks as if it can help me to get that extra bit sharpness at those times when the light has dropped. I thought I'd ask everyone here for their thoughts on these... Manfrotto Monopod Unversal Folding Base - Bases

I was thinking of a Manfrotto 680B as the monopod, I understand these are not suitable for long exposures at night time. But I'm wondering if one of these with the 'legs' will be good to get an extra 4 or 5 stops over handholding and also an extra touch of sharpness to boot!

I know alot of people will suggest that I should get a tripod and stop being lazy, but I know myself too well. I will buy a heavy tripod and it will get left at home more often than not, just cos it really isn't much fun lugging one around for hours at a time. Whereas a monopod that fits in my backpack with the folding base is a different story, if their are tripods that will fit in my backpack they could be a useful solution aswell? I also wonder if something like this could be a good for helping me with Macro photography?

Am fascinated to know your thoughts! Thanks for reading this long winded question.

I wouldn't attempt any very-long exposure with a monopod, no matter how sturdy the base is. Monopods really were never designed nor intended to long exposures, just to gain a few shutter speeds over hand-held shots.

I wouldn't attempt any very-long exposure with a monopod, no matter how sturdy the base is. Monopods really were never designed nor intended to long exposures, just to gain a few shutter speeds over hand-held shots.

I agree, as I say if I was specifically doing long exposure shots I would deffo bring a tripod. But I guess my question is will the monopod with base be good for helping getting an extra 4 stops or so and also extra sharpness, also would it be ok for helping steady macro shots potentially? I do find tripods cumbersome specially when trying to photograph bugs. I know it isn't a perfect solution, but it may be a good compromise? Compared to a heavy fiddly tripod that will end up being left at home most of the time.

Another option is a bag with an external tripod holder. Even a small bag like the lowepro sling 102AW can support a pretty large tripod.

Here's a picture of mine. It's not really particularly heavy either. The tripod can be a little bulky on it, but this only really is an issue if you're around a crowd or in a really tight spot. For just walking around in normal environments, it's not bad at all.

DSC_0019 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

I agree, as I say if I was specifically doing long exposure shots I would deffo bring a tripod. But I guess my question is will the monopod with base be good for helping getting an extra 4 stops or so and also extra sharpness, also would it be ok for helping steady macro shots potentially? I do find tripods cumbersome specially when trying to photograph bugs. I know it isn't a perfect solution, but it may be a good compromise? Compared to a heavy fiddly tripod that will end up being left at home most of the time.

macro, it'll help some, but unless you've got some serious light, you'll want a tripod. THe main issue with a monopod and macro is that you usually are titlng the camera on macro. Monopods are really only made to be shot straight horizontal.

edit: I actually get a more stable image handholding than when I have a monopod where I'm not shooting straight horizontal.

Last edited:
Look for 4 or 5 section tripods. They collapse into a smaller size. Look for carbon fiber, it's lighter. Look for an additional job....they can get expensive. ;)

I tried the monopod route, but it wasn't for me. I strap a tripod to my backpack, and it really hasn't been an issue for me. Several months ago, I got a ProMaster T325P carbon fiber tripod and head specifically for replacing my much heavier steel Manfrotto tripod on field hikes. It's incredibly light and easy to deal with.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well...I looked....Manfrotto Monopod Unversal Folding Base - Bases

This converts a mono into almost a light-stand...I suppose that YES, it probably would provide 4 to 5 stops' worth of additional slower speeds as compared with hand-holding--but only with the right technique ( self-timer delay in conjunction WITH mirror lock-up, or remote release+ self-timer delay, or failing that, just 10-second self-timer delay), as well as no wind, and lenses that are not "too long". I feel that ANY tripod is better than hand-holding, most of the time. So, yeah, this device looks like it could actually provide some stability, but looking at the low leg height from the ground, it appears that this 58-GBP item will work best ONLY on relatively FLAT ground.

I think even a cheap Velbon or Slik $69 aluminum cheapie might be AS-steady as this device...and a $199 cheap-o Chinese Gitzo knock-off in carbon fibre would be even better.

Well...I looked....Manfrotto Monopod Unversal Folding Base - Bases

This converts a mono into almost a light-stand...I suppose that YES, it probably would provide 4 to 5 stops' worth of additional slower speeds as compared with hand-holding--but only with the right technique ( self-timer delay in conjunction WITH mirror lock-up, or remote release+ self-timer delay, or failing that, just 10-second self-timer delay), as well as no wind, and lenses that are not "too long". I feel that ANY tripod is better than hand-holding, most of the time. So, yeah, this device looks like it could actually provide some stability, but looking at the low leg height from the ground, it appears that this 58-GBP item will work best ONLY on relatively FLAT ground.

I think even a cheap Velbon or Slik $69 aluminum cheapie might be AS-steady as this device...and a $199 cheap-o Chinese Gitzo knock-off in carbon fibre would be even better.

Yeah, I get better results with a cheap ultra portable tripod than a monopod if it's anything less than perfectly ideal conditions. Monopods are mainly for when you're shooting fast moving subjects (like athletes or race cars), not really made to be a substitute for a tripod, IMHO.

I have several tripods but I tend to use a monopod more frequently. My wife uses it as a walking stick in rough terrain and I just click my camera on it and brace it against a large rock or log and shoot. I also at times, carry the camera on my shoulder with the monopod already attached, so that I simply lower the monopod and shoot. It is much faster to set up and use than a tripod and handles most of the slow shutter speed applications.

skieur

Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful.

I have decided to throw caution to the wind and have just purchased a Used £30 Manfrotto 680B monopod (a WOW deal), I figured I can't go too wrong with this! And I just want to see if a monopod can assist my shooting, will be good fun to see if this weapon of choice can be a helpful tool. As 'Skieur' just stated above, the flexibility of a monopod enthuses me, I find tripods a bit fiddly at times. As Derrel mentioned any form of stabilisation is better than nothing... so I guess the mono will come in handy! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back