Advice on my next camera

glan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been working with a Nikon D3000 (my first DSLR) for about 2 1/2 years now, which has give me the opportunity to figure out what type of photography i enjoy most. turns out i have developed taste for shooting acrobatic sports (gymnastics, Martial arts, All star cheer leading, etc). Sometimes i am in the stands which means i need to use a long lens (makes life really tricky) but sometimes i can get right up close to the mat, in which case my 18-55mm Kit lens is the best i have available for capturing a whole team of all star cheerleaders for example.

Though i dabble in different types of photography i primarily shoot indoors with low/difficult light, cant use the flash type venues.

As you can imagine i struggle with this camera, its low light performance is not great. I'm only coming out with a few really nice shots of the action due to noise mostly. My shots tend to be framed well (i think) and in focus though the performance above ISO800 leaves me struggling with noise issues. I want to take it to the next level and would like some advice on what camera to purchase next.

My budget is anything from £500-£900. I know i am asking a lot for the money but i really want to get closer to those really clean shots that can be blown up on canvas prints etc.

I am used to Nikon but have no real preference on brand.

Hope this question sparks some interest.

Regards

Geoff

Well Geoff I am not sure about UK prices but in this price you can get a Nikon D7000, this camera is quite the champ in low light situation.
I regularly use my D7000 in 3200ISO and is very pleased with the results.
For sport shooting better cameras are the Nikon D300s and Nikon D7100 but both I believe will be outside your price range unless you go with a used camera.
If you cant afford the D7000 then the D5100 is another option, its a more basic camera then the D7000 with a more simple AF system but its low light performance is the same as the D7000 as they share the same sensor. A new D5100 in Canada cost 420$ before tax (just the body).

For £900 you should be able to get a D7000 and a decent bit of glass too if you shop around. The D7000 low light performance is good, like goodguy said you can shoot at ISO 3200 and get good results.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks for all the input. have looked at the d7000 before, was deliberating over this camera and a few others but it seems like I dont need to deliberate anymore.

thanks again.

Geoff

thanks for all the input. have looked at the d7000 before, was deliberating over this camera and a few others but it seems like I dont need to deliberate anymore.

thanks again.

Geoff

Then I guess there is nothing to add but good luck and let us know how you like your new baby once you get it :)

You could always get the D5100 and spend the rest on a longer lens for when you are not so close. One of the things that has impressed me the most with my D5100 is the low level of noise at high ISO. Just a thought.

Most reactions

Back