Advice on shooting a friend's engagement session?

I hear your guys. Okay. I think I'll send them the list of locations to see what they like best.

This may sound stupid but I have a question regarding light (as I said, I have no experience in portrait photography): most of the locations I picked in the park would have the light behind me during sunrise / behind the couple during sunset. Which is better and/or easier to handle (knowing that I don't have any flash other than the one on my T4i, no reflector...) ?

What I often see that I don't like:

Very informal dress.

What I would like to see more of:
Better wardrobe.
And yet it is often said that an engagement session should show the couple as natural as possible. Formal clothes doesn't strike me as being very natural... I'd rather have them in their casual clothes than wearing a suit and a cocktail dress. But obviously I'll address this with them to see what they would like.

i just sharing you the link bcoz its helps mine ...that was best article for me and i hope it was best for you .
Engagement Photography Tips
Thanks. I had come across this page while searching for info on engagement photos.

I hear your guys. Okay. I think I'll send them the list of locations to see what they like best.

This may sound stupid but I have a question regarding light (as I said, I have no experience in portrait photography): most of the locations I picked in the park would have the light behind me during sunrise / behind the couple during sunset. Which is better and/or easier to handle (knowing that I don't have any flash other than the one on my T4i, no reflector...) ?
You can use backlight, but you should know how to use it to your advantage.

(from my own limited knowledge) Meter for the shade side (near side) of the subject(s) unless you are going for a silhouette.

What I often see that I don't like:

Very informal dress.

What I would like to see more of:
Better wardrobe.
And yet it is often said that an engagement session should show the couple as natural as possible. Formal clothes doesn't strike me as being very natural... I'd rather have them in their casual clothes than wearing a suit and a cocktail dress. But obviously I'll address this with them to see what they would like.
There is a medium ground between dressy (coat and necktie) and VERY casual (ragged dungarees and a tee-shirt with printing on it).

Here you go, back lighting, meter for her face (not his), under expose about 1/2 a stop because of the soft light at the time.

D8C_8529.jpg

Interesting mix of opinions here leads me to think like any art form beauty is in the eye of the shooter.

For what it's worth I feel engagement should not be formal unless that is the couples personal style which is pretty rare these days. But engagement is not about style or back ground or f stops. It's about stars in the eyes and unbridled shout it from the roof top joy! To that's that the session is about and the photos should be fun and active, full of life, love and happiness. And romance!

I could type all day why I feel that way and what it looks like but it's easier just to show you. Chris & Alexa

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back