Advice taking local band concert pictures

Mony-Mony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have no photography education aside from what I have read in my user manual and online about my Canon Rebel T2i.
I have tried manual settings and messing with my shutter speeds and just cannot get it right.

I am wanting to use it to get good pics during a concert, especially of the drummer, who is constantly moving. It is in a dark setting with different colored laser lights. The pics I take filter out all the laser lights and makes for a very bland picture, or it ends up a blurred scribble.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Unfortunately some pictures just can't be done without different/better equipment than you have now. You could try taking a flash shot to get the drummer in focus with enough light and then take another non-flash shot to get the lasers with a slower speed and then put the shots together with Photoshop or some other software.
Look at the book for your camera, perhaps there is a double-exposure capability?

Some of the most challenging photography you can face is Live Music Photography. Like any other form of Photography, you're trying to tell the artist's story using still imagery. The challenge is multifold; you have to deal with the movements of the artists and to freeze the motion it requires a high shutter speed so the shutter must be set to 1/250 of a second. You also have to deal with the depth of field on your subject; you want the facial features to be crisp and sharp. Because you're dealing with low light, based on the distance to the subject, the focal length, and motion you're going to want to be around f/3.5. What all this means is your ISO is going to have to be pumped up between 3200 and 6400 depending on the light itself.

That brings us to the last problem you face and that is the lighting. Bands (especially rock bands) can use shifting colors (temperature) various intensities and so on to add to the live show. You have to have patience and catch the light illuminating your subject at just the right time. Remember, your subject, the artist's facial emotion is what you're capturing not the light show. Your composition needs to follow the rules of composition BUT additionally you can't have microphones growing out of people's heads so you will need to avoid that.

Equipment is everything. You'll need fast lenses and a body that can feel comfortable at ISO 3200-12800 naturally to do extreme low light clubs. Another suggestion in post processing is to convert to B&W images. I have a Facebook Blog for Live Music where I publish stories on local and touring acts in small to medium venues. Feel free to check it out at T-Shots Photography Facebook

If you have additional questions please feel free to message me; I would be glad to pass on as much knowledge of Concert Photography as I can.

- Bob

Fast primes and high ISOs. Newer cameras and FF sensors will naturally be better along with pricier lenses, but it can be done. I've shot shows with a 30D and 50 f/1.8 back in the day. My keepers weren't as common and there was a good bit of noise, but it's what you get with what you shoot with.

I'd like to shoot a show with what I have now...

Oh, and most small clubs have terrible lighting. See if you can get in to a bigger club that hosts nation wide acts on nights that smaller bands play. You'll see a night and day difference between shooting with crap light and shooting with thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stage lighting.

I'm shooting Band's a lot right now. The main issue, as everyone else has said, is the low light situations. You either need to use a flash or you need to deal with the issues in post.

One thing that a high ISO does to an image (besides noise) is it mutes the color. So an otherwise gloriously Red or green light could look pale and annoying. Programs like lightroom can help combat this to an extent with the saturation and vibrance tools but its not always the case that the images color will really look like it did in person.

It also sounds like you are shooting with auto White Balance, which makes the camera want to correct the red light to look natural, muting the color further. This can be fixed in camera by using one of the White Balance presets or in post if you are shooting RAW you can customize the White Balance.

I agree with William. I use Auto White Balance but because I'm shooting in RAW it is of no consequence because I do manage that aspect in Lightroom. That also goes for Picture Control; I set it to Neutral and adjust it in LR. With regard to colors in extreme low light of clubs especially when there is nothing but red and blue fresnels or LED lights is to convert them to Black and white in Lightroom as mentioned. B&W with some grain is OK as almost all Live Music shots are used exclusively for websites or social media for promotion purposes. I have never printed any of my live shots but if I did it would be from those done in venues with professional stage lighting; that said I really have no need for prints as we did in the film days. I don't use a flash at all because it is a distraction to the artists and the audience. I've asked friends who perform what they think about professional photographers using a speedlight and even though there are tons of flashes from phones (that's a far cry from a speedlight), the speedlight can be a distraction. If you are planning on a flash, please make sure you ask the performers if that is permissible.

Keep in mind, white balance is only a factor in camera if you shoot in JPEG. If you're shooting in RAW it is a non factor as all the data remains allowing for adjustments in LR. This is just one more reason to shoot in RAW.

Hey Bob, welcome and thanks for your input! I know you can give a lot more on how to shoot live bands. Good the OP is out trying to take the shots, always a start.

I also have an older body and I just raise the ISO near the limit, no flash and use my f/1.8 lens to make the most of what light there is.

Thanks Dave, great being here and looking forward to sharing ideas with fellow photographers. Yes the f/1.8 primes are great for small clubs. I generally have the 24-70, 50, and 85 primes in my bag at the clubs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back