Advice would be appreciated

LynziMarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!
Most of my work is stuff I set up myself, stuff I feel like doing.
But there are many instances word of mouth gets going good, and I am asked to do a shoot with someone. I've done two weddings and some senior portraits so far... all for free. Anyways, I have learned a lot of stuff on this site and by just experiencing it as it happens. But, now I have another chance to learn something more. I have been asked to do some family portraits and portraits of their three children.
I torture my poor little nieces and am always doing shoots with them, so the kids I'm not worried about, it'll be pretty routine for me. It's the family I'm just a little bit curious about... How do I set up a family of five for optimum visual results?? Sitting? Standing? Parents sitting on a rock, kids standing around them? Any advice would be appreciated :)
I'm still looking around on this site to see if I can't find some info.

Thanks in advance :D

Try looking through the professional gallery on this forum. Lots of family shots on there. It may give you some ideas...or going to a local portait studio and looking at their examples.

I usually google for other photographer's websites and "borrow" their ideas when I see something I like. ;)

Don't tell anybody but I do the same thing. I approach photography like I do cooking - start with somebody else's recipe and then alter to taste.

Don't tell anybody but I do the same thing. I approach photography like I do cooking - start with somebody else's recipe and then alter to taste.

Are you suggesting that she splash olive oil and oregano on the family before taking their picture?

:mrgreen:

Sorry... really couldn't resist. :lol:

Don't forget the garlic! Unless they are vampires, of course.

Actually the Greeks were really into using olive oil on themselves from what I hear...

Maybe I should give it a try. Although I would think that would only be really effective if I were photographing for girlie mags.

To add on to what the others have suggested, print off some quick examples of family-style portraits and ask the family what they'd like.

Most reactions

Back